Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Valued Contributor

Telkom IP address blacklisted on incoming recipient servers?

Hello all  ,  

Telkom mail system messages ask that we mail the postmaster for assistance with mail issues.  I see other community members are reporting similar mail issues ( & worse when it affects their business ).   Appreciate if anyone can please help with postmaster email address ?

Some of my recent Telkom Do Messaging webmails either bounce or disappear,  but appear in the ‘sent’ folder . 

I tried test mails from Telkom webmail to my Telkom, gmail & iCloud addresses - all delivered OK but test mail to MWeb bounced.

Not sure how all this works, but Telkom IP address appears to be blacklisted on bl.spamcop.net & dnsbl-1.UCEPROTECT .

Apparently mail servers can be temporarily blacklisted & removed later when the IP address is deemed ‘safe’ again. Perhaps the problem is temporary but I found no standard criteria for automatic removal from these blacklists.

Some basic info I found at https://mailchimp.com/resources/guides/avoid-spam-filters/ :-

A blacklist is a list of IP addresses or domains that are suspected of sending spam. Email servers use blacklists to help decide if they should accept or reject an email. When used correctly, blacklists help keep the bad stuff out of inboxes. Blacklists can list a single IP address or a range of IPs. Internet service providers (ISPs) reference these lists to block potentially malicious emails from their customers.

Spammy criteria is constantly growing and adapting, based on—at least in part—what people identify as spam with the ‘Mark as spam’ or ‘This is junk’ button in their inbox. Spam filters even sync up with each other to share what they’ve learned. Spam filters don’t publish details regarding their filtering practices—but there are steps you can take to avoid landing in your subscribers’ junk folder. Personalize the To: field of your bulk mails , and ask recipients to add you to their address book.

Examples of Telkom automated ' udelivered mail' system messages I received  , and the IP lookup : -

This is the mail system at host prospero.telkomsa.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

<***********@wol.co.za>: host securemail-mx3.synaq.com[196.35.198.130] said:
    550-rejected because 196.25.211.2 is in a black list at
    dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net 550-IP 196.25.211.2 is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed.
    See 550 http://www.uceprotect.net/rblcheck.php?ipr=196.25.211.2 (in reply
    to RCPT TO command)

<***********@wol.co.za>: host securemail-mx3.synaq.com[196.35.198.130] said: 550
    rejected because 196.25.211.2 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net (in
    reply to RCPT TO command)

IP address Lookup Result for 196.25.211.2 :- 

IP Address:
Host of this IP:
prospero.telkomsa.net
Organization:
Telkom Internet

Re: Telkom IP address blacklisted on incoming recipient servers?

Hi, Did you manage to get this resolved? If so, how? Telkom Support is unhelpful, they dont seem to understand what's going on. Please let me know if you got it resolved.

Thanks,

Hi,

Did you perhaps manage to resolve this? If so, how? We have explained the issue to Telkom telephonically as well as through email and they are, i'm afraid, quite clueless. They either just dont get it, or just plain dont wanna assist the customer. All we need is for the IP and\or email account to be cleared from being blacklisted. It got blacklisted due a virus but that has now been cleared, as we have reformatted the hard drive, reloaded Windows, and performed all updates required.

Regards,

Valued Contributor

Hi @Peter1980

Sorry but never did find an answer . Such a pain -  I gave up & just stopped using Telkom for  primary email . It wasn’t a virus that caused my issue but rather Telkom’s mail server IP address was apparently blacklisted . 

Have since been able to forward Telkom emails to other mail provider addresses but I no longer rely on Telkom for primary mail - seems to work sporadically.

If you send a test mail to your Telkom inbox do you get an ‘mail undelivered ‘ message ?

Valued Contributor

@Peter1980

Hi again, hopefully you may find your address is automatically removed from blacklist after a few days  

- found more info here  :-

https://www.inc.com/internet/articles/200812/blacklists.html

My email address has been blacklisted for spam since Feb 2018 and Telkom say its not their problem.

I can receive emails but not send.

This is the error message I keep receiving to any or all recipients :

Server error: '554 5.7.1 <---------@telkomsa.net>: Sender address rejected: Spamcop TOS - Telkom SAIX RefSmiley Frustrated2862 Blacklisted for SPAM'

Has anybody else had a similar problem and if so, was it ever solved as I am at my wit's end.

I have been having this exact issue since end May 2018 and have spent hours on the phone to Telkom, used online help, emailed Telkom and Facebook stalked them to no avail. I have 20 email addresses and several corporate clients who don't receive emails and have to continually follow up afterwards to check if its been received. If I send from a different platform i.e off my phone they are receiving but if sending from Do Messaging it gets lost in cyberspace. i cannot run a small business off a cellphone .... Hate Telkom with an passion!

Valued Contributor

Hi @Felicity @VivSteyn

Sympathy to you - I know the frustration but sorry to say Telkom mail server ‘blacklist’  issue wasn't resolved as far as I know.

Blacklisted mail providers must apply to be removed from blacklists,  so can only surmise that either Telkom don’t know how to handle it,  or the many customer complaints never reach the right technical person.

Traced one (similar) resolved mail issue in the forum  - perhaps there's something in this thread you could try ( mailbox reset after MS updates etc )  :-

https://community.telkom.co.za/t5/ADSL-VDSL-Fibre/Unable-to-send-emails/td-p/2489/page/2

Or might be worth messaging another urgent complaint  with your details & refs to a media support team, with  cc email to support@telkom.co.za .

Facebook: TelkomZA

Twitter:   @telkomza

I eventually gave up and now use another provider for primary mail.  

Hope they help you - appreciate if you'll  keep us posted re what happens. 

This is still an issue and I don't see any response by someone from Telkom. 

how does one reach whoever can do something about this?

About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 Contributors