Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
yn

email problems not connecting to server

Please assist me with setting up my email on my tablet. Even a telkom consultant could not help me.

its the outgoing server thats not working.

TIA

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: email problems not connecting to server

@yn it depends on the network you are currently connecting with. With a PC it is easier. You usually connect with 1 connection like ADSL, and so the SMTP stays the same.

On a phone/tablet you might change between different connection providers like ADSL at home via Wifi, then 3g via Telkom mobile or vodacom.  Each network wants its own SMTP.

For ADSL and Telkom Mobile you can use smtp.saix.net on Port 25 (no SSL and no Authentication)

here is a list of other Networks smtp servers - http://www.uniwebserve.com/outgoing_smtp_servers_south_africa.htm

Established Member

@thesuspect is correct, if you possibly still having issues @yn, I would suggest telling us which email client (Eg. Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird) you are using to assist maybe further.

Does Telkom not have an smtp server that can be accessed through a network that they do not own?

(ie Vodacom, MTN, other ADSL ISP's etc).

It is definitely possible to configure such an SMTP server that can be accessed on any network, but all the info I can get points to these same servers that can not be connected to from other networks and trying to get through to consultants is impossible.

And suggesting to use webmail as a solution is rediculous, especially when using mobile phones.   

Regular Contributor

@T25CZWhhbGZPZg, networks have their own SMTP but do not usually have open relays to prevent people spoofing and using an SMTP for SPAM purposes. Depending on which network you have connected to, you can usually use their SMTP for sending out you other email account. A bit of a pain if you are constantly switching between networks.

Hi There ,i'm also getting cannot open connection to server and have configured the outgoing SMTP as suggested - any other settings i'm not aware of?

Telkomsa.net does not support the encryption required by Outlook 2016. After I unchecked encryption required for outgoing mail, send and receive now works. However there is no encryption and this is not good.

Hi

I am desperately trying to send emails but it is not going through....system is working off line.....also trying to connect to server

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 Contributors