Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

paying for a 10 meg line

hi

i would like to know, how is it that im paying for a 10meg line but it never reaches 10megs. i called in and was told that a 10 meg line reaches speeds between 6 and 8 megs.

how is it that i bought a mercedes and paying for that model but my engine is toyota?????????????????

if the speeds reach between 6 and 8 megs then surely i should be paying for a 6 or 8 meg line?

why is Telkom charging me for a 10 meg line?????????????????

futhter more, there are always issues with the service! i dont seem to be paying a portion of my subscription but yet i have to use my line in drips and drags when telkom has a problem. why is it that they still charge the full amount when your service is not constant???????????????

help please

Valued Contributor

Re: paying for a 10 meg line

Hi @Impie

Sorry but we can’t really help with service related enquiries,  there are no Telkom support agents in the forum . (we’re customers like you with no other Telkom link). 

Your actual ADSL line speed will be the speed your line supports   Up to 10mbps ” per your contract. But I think you should be getting at least 90% of the max contract speed ( i.e. 9mbps or higher)

You could first call 10210 to request a line check and ask them to do a port reset for you.  If that doesn’t improve your speed there are a few things you can try on your home network in this link , or report a fault if nothing else works  : - 

https://apps.telkom.co.za/logafault

Hope this helps, good luck.

thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Valued Contributor

Hi @Impie

You're welcome - hope you can get nearer the speed  you're paying for !

More  info in below link might be useful. Also check your router stats SNR & line attenuation. If the line quality's poor and/ or too far from the exchange to support at least 9mbps then perhaps Telkom will agree to change your contract.

https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshooting-slow-internet-connection-81812518125

SNR: 

6dB or below is very bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems

7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions

11dB-20dB is good with little or no sync problems

20dB-28dB is excellent

29dB or above is outstanding

Attenuation:

20dB and below is outstanding

20dB-30dB is excellent

30dB-40dB is very good

40dB-50dB is good

50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues

60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

Good luck , please do keep us posted so that we can help others with the same issues,  thanks.

About This Post
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 Contributors