Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Verification SMS not received

[ Edited ]

Good day

I've been using 2 step verification on a number of online services, but have been unable to receive smses with verification codes and one time passwords (OTPs).

I was able to transfer some of the services to phone me rather than send an sms and this service seems to work just fine. The problem is that I am locked out of some of my accounts, including game accounts, and 2 of my email accounts (google and hotmail).

Similar verification codes I use for my job seem to work just fine. This might be an SMS server verification issue (I'm speculating here). In a conversation with one of Telkom's consultants, I was advised to have international roaming activated on my mobile. I will do this and give feedback as to whether or not that worked, however as far as I know receiving international SMSses should not require roaming.

My number is ported from Vodacom, where it was working. Generally, I am happy with the service I get from Telkom and through my various interactions over the past 2 years, I can see that there is a level of commitment to improving customer experience. This failure to receive verification smses is an issue for me however.

My move from vodacom also coincides with a change of phones (I bought the phone cash from takealot). Its a Huawei P8 Lite 2018.

Valued Contributor

Re: Verification SMS not received

Hi @Revian

Welcome to the customer forum .  Sorry,  but only Telkom support channels can attend service issues - they won’t see your post here. 

Your sms issue might be a Telkom system routing error as your number was recently ported. You can confirm your ported number is serviced by Telkom on the central data base link  :- https://www.porting.co.za/PublicWebsite/

Then message a Telkom media team below and confirm with their tech dept that the ported number was correctly routed in their system.  ( routing errors can apparently cause weird connection issues )

Facebook: TelkomZA

Twitter:   @telkomza

If none of that works you may have to report a fault.

Good luck, hope this helps.

About This Post
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 Contributors