Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

7 day wait before escalation policy??

How does any service provider get away with that sort of service policy??  I'm new to this site, but am tired of complaing to the poor support agent as its obvious they can't do anything about it.

I've just reported 3 business lines that are down, but was shocked to hear expected turn around time of 7 days.  I sure at some point it was 48 hours for business lines.  So, is this site of any use OR am I just wasting time posting problems here??

Moderator Moderator

Re: 7 day wait before escalation policy??

@TransOcean it really depends on how many faults in your area. Certain areas currently have a high fault count partly due to weather conditions. It is not to say that your fault will take that long to resolve. Please send me a private message with you rreference numbers, and I will attempt to escalate for you.

output_Svao80.gif
Frequent Contributor

@TransOcean This site is useful i think.  I logged a fault and got here after being "pushed" through regular prompts on the call to join the community.  I have now been hear for about 2 months, and I try to contribute as much as I am learning.  As we build the body of knowledge we are able to help each other and effectively we can shift the support process to the left - ensuring more self help and allowing the technicians to only focus on the things that really matter and needs technical assistance...

I agree with @NC - every call cannot be an escalation and it cannot be done in a shorter time.  I think the sheer volume of calls is the issue here, and whilst we haven't seen real numbers on how much is handled I get the feeling that in excess of 20,000 contacts are made per day.  That is huge in anyone's books and I'm not sure that Telkom are really able to handle it yet.  We need to build the trust base of the community, and offer help where we can - essentially taking back the service we deserve.  I do not have Telkom as my home ISP at the moment, although our business uses Telkom extensively - I hope to get back to the point where Telkom is a brand we all trust and use ...

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)

Thank NC...my fault was sorted yesterday.  

I wasn't specifically refering to the actual level of service, but rather to the policy itself.  Way back in the 90's, if there was a problem with your phone you'd have a technician at your door within hours. Later in the earlier 2000's you'd always be back up and running the next day.  Since I started running my own IT company in 2007 it was 48 hour for business lines...until somehow recently we on 7 days??

I understand the network and services have grown, but Telkom is being paid extra for all the extra usage and services...yet service levels in terms of acceptable turn around time are just going backward??

Any other technology...or especially communications companies that has a time frame of 7 days in their service level agreement would be laughed off the profesional scene!

[ Edited ]

@j0766 Amen, it's great to have and be part of a helpful community!  I'll surely do my best to assist where I can as well...

However, I found it a bit obnoxious from Telkom to suggest we ask other people to help us before asking them...'the service provider' that's being paid to provide and support a service.  Granted, in light of the mess their support system is currently in it seems a pretty good short term solution. So as we endevour to help thy neighbour, which is a wonderful thing in any situation....I just hope we don't lose track of the fact that Telkom's financials are in Rm (units of a million Rand) while their customers are doing their first line support work!!

At what point are we no longer just helping someone out...BUT instead perpetuating the existence of a giant leech capitalizing on other’s generosity??

Frequent Contributor

Interesting thoughts to ponder.  You might notice that my approach has changed since my first few posts on this community.  Inherently I do not think that it is obnoxious for Telkom to suggest that we ask other people to help before asking them, it is the reality of our world out there, I used to be an IT infrastructure manager for a large company and trust me most of the issues that arose would have been better sorted out by some form of a vibrant community that helps themselves to improve.  There is a real threat in there for the IT professionals in that the community strength would eventually topple them in terms of thought leadership and brute force, and therefore there needs to be a significant relationship between the professionals and the volunteer community - trust and respect.  At some point the community becomes the professionals and provide the guidance and direction for the remaining IT staff.

In real terms you are right that this perpetuates the existence of leeches, but generosity soon turns into power - he who gives becomes more recognised than he who takes.  In my mind therefore this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where the technical team either adapts or die ....

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
About This Post
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 Contributors