Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: ADSL 4mbps running at 1.4mbps

Hi Uncapaul,

Thanks for the info I will keep it in mind. The line is running very smooth and stable for now will keep a close eye on it.

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Highlighted

Re: ADSL 4mbps running at 1.4mbps

Hi, hope you can help me, read your entire post here and seems you may know a route to me getting replies from Telkom. Our internet in town, Nongoma, has been on and off all of December and January. It will be up for a few hours, sometimes a full day or 2, then goes down for hours, or a day or two. When I report the insident I innitially report it via the SMS number 30591 so that I can get a eference. I used to call 10217 (telkom busness) but being on hold for 10 to 30min each time is not feasable, I need to run my business. I do call 10217 after 4 to 6 hours to get an update/report. I have to explain the them that the entire Telkom Exchange is down in town. I have multiple accounts and have tenants in town that also report to me their line is down. So it's not MY point specifically, it's the entire exchange. During this time we are normally still synced with the router, at work it's 10'239 kbps downstream and 1023 kbpd up. So all good. But there is no internet. no Gateway/IP (internet port.

I used to be with MWEB who did all my ISP but they were useless at solving issues. So last year I switched to Telkom as that is who Mweb uses in any case, so instead of calling Mweb then Telkom, I now only have to call Telkom.

When I follow up on issues, the telkom call centre try to reset my user name and passowrd, which creates chaos, but I have to humour them or they won't help. After trying all the standard resets and reboots, they concede that it is the Exchange (Which is what I told them, can't be affcting MULTIPLE points and solved through my router or PC.) They tell me a technician is working on it. Then after a few hours, or a day, the internet returns, but for a few hours or a day, then is off. So I have to report again. Then when I call and say it's ONGOING for MONTHS now, they say that the previous calls are all closed, they are sending a technician. When I ask to escalate they say they can't becasue it hasn't been long enough or the problem is solved. They don't see that the same issue occuring every day or 2 is an issue, even though it's been for 2 months now. So I haven't been able to escalate the issue.

I have aVodacom contract with VERY limited data plan. I use this for my personal PC to link and get mails or do internet banking for the business. But my brother/mother, managers don't have this ability. My Vodacom account is through the roof as I am using data out of bundle. To upgrade my data on my cell isn't feasable as it leaves the rest of my business unconnected. So I would have too change my ISP from Telkom to Vodacom, which I would like to avoid if I could only get an answer from Telkom that they are aware of the issue and have a solution they are working on. I want to avoid the hassle of switching. Vodacom have their own issues in this town when it's busy, month end and Xmas, Easter, that it;s SOO busy the lines get clogged so we often can't make calls during this time as the towers can't cope, then the Cell network internet gets slow, or so clogged it stops working. Things like our Credit Card machines stop working, even with edge as it's so clogged so there are fail safes of MTN and CELL C fail overs, and even the Telkom ADSL failover. So I'm scared to switch to Vodacom and have other hassles if Telkom sort things out. But will they? Are they aware. Can they do anyhting. I need to talk to someone at Telkom who can give me answers, not just the generic reply.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Why Your ADSL speed ain't what it was!

Hi Folks

Bad News I'm afraid!!!

It Looks like the "ASSIA" system is programmed to override the settings of the Technicians who manually change from "Interleaved" (Best speed for line conditions" to "FastPath" (Stuff It! Lets crank this sucker up!).

And until the powers that be fix the Glitch in the software/Hardware you are gonna sit on the phone trying to tell a badly trained support person

(or have we trained them ourselves?) that the sync speed has once again been stuffed up!

SO........

Acting like the North Korean Government "ASSIA" will tell YOU what is good for you on your ADSL line....

Eeeeeeeiiiisssh HellKom!!!

UncaPaul

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Why Your ADSL speed ain't what it was!

Please consider my ignorance.

I had a difference of values of the line status of 2 independent clients using the same routers,Netgear DGN2200. A Telkom tech at one of the sites we had a very bad line which he repaired and showed me, on his Cell phone that all his tests passed. I questioned his results compared to what I saw on the Status page of the router. Before I submit the 2 pictures,

The question is:
What are the nominal values on an ADSL line for :
LINE ATTENUATION .................................
NOISE MARGIN .......................................

I have 2 Client where the above values are totally opposite but the lines are performing OK. ?????

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Charles

That’s a hard question to answer, EVEN with the same hardware! Firmware on both machines could be different and the board components may be more tolerant than one piece of equipment than another, even out of the same factory.

That been said the only way to test is to have the both routers on the same line at the same customer.

This is the definition of SNR:

SNR margin (dB, a.k.a. noise margin) is the ratio by which the signal exceeds the minimum acceptable amount (minimum SNR) to sustain a certain speed. It is normally measured in decibels.

So let’s use the analogy of a teacher in a class. The one kid that is the Brat may seem to her to be the noisiest, but the class "suck up" has a higher pitched voice and is literally the noisiest, but is disregarded as such.

SNR can come from a plethora of sources, Bad earth leak, bad joints in the cable (those little gel connectors are a nightmare!) length of cable, quality of cable and your telephone plugs and splitters, even the pots filter can have some bearing. SO back to the analogy:

If the Teacher hears from the Brat kid "Miss I feel sick" she will deal with that kid even though she may not like to. The same with SNR,

If the signal is stronger than the noise, the data will still flow and at perhaps an acceptable speed.

SO to answer your question: "What are the nominal values on an ADSL line for :
LINE ATTENUATION .................................
NOISE MARGIN ......................................."

Each modem is different as to what it's SNR acceptable threshold is for data to flow , even if it's from the same manufacturer. Only a site test with a different modem , on same piece of copper, will tell you what it is or should be to receive adequate speed. A different Modem may be more tolerant and therefore works.

Regards

UncaPaul

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Sorry that should read:

board components may be more tolerant on one piece of equipment than on another, even out of the same factory.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi oompaul,

Thanks for the explanation. I do understand what you are saying.

Maybe I should have asked what are the typical values for SNR & Line
attenuation. Just an example of what the values should look like.

Many thanks.
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Highlighted

@charlesmeyer as discussed in PM, and repeating it here for others, going back to your FIRST post in this post, Telkom not getting back to you, I have discovered the problem.

You may have registered the fault using the SMS service, or dialing one of the call centres like 10217 or 10210. All these are not managed by Telkom directly, but are palmed out to 3rd party companies to manage on behalf of Telkom.

Now the SMS system doesn't work at all. The only thing that does happen here is that the call centre logs your fault on their system and sends you an sms with reference. Or if you have called in, the same thing. They DO get the message through the the local exchange, so a technician at the exchange level, some with limited knowledge or access to back office Telkom stuff, will sometimes call to the premises and check your end of the line.

What needs to happen is the call centre is meant to populate their system in such a way that they record various details onto their system and LINK/POST this to the Telkom system so that TELKOM technicians are made aware. This doesn't happen. Worse still, as they are 3rd party so "not cared about Telkom customers, only that they want to keep Telkom head office who pays them, happy, they record NOTHING but that you called, so when the Tech goes out to your site and finds nothing wrong, the case is closed, and you left stranded. What Telkom head office sees is a whole lot of reports, and a whole lot of resolutions, not realising their customer still has an issue.

Unfortunately, escalating the matter may not resolve this, as my case testifies, becasue the manager you are escalated to is the 3rd party manager, again not a Telkom manager. He is even more cared about his Telkom contract so his aim is to try "keep you quiet" and do just enough to get the case closed as quickly as possible. These managers do have access to slightly more, but like you, if the numerous call centre calls you made, are not recorded propely on the system, all he can do is acknowledge that you called, but will have VERY little else to go on. So will frustrate you by starting the whole "investiagtion" from scratch. Many also don't believe that the users like have have MORE info than them, so for example, when I tell them the ENTIRE NONGOMA EXCHNAGE is down, they ask, have I tried reseting my router???? Like my router controls the Telkom Exchnage.

You can "tolerate" the guy and go okay, lets reset the router, lets change the user name and password, then he'll want to sent a technician to your store, then reset your Explorer or Google Chrome settings, then make you download FireFox, and after much to do about nothing will say, let me reset your port at the exchange. You smile quietly as he suggests this... you then hold 5 to 10 min for him to get back to you to say, UM,,, there is not traffic through your towns Exchage, the Exchange is down. You try politely to say, I told you that in the beginning, why didn't you do that check first. Response, we have processes we have to follow....

So the issue with the REPORTING system at the moment is it's one option for ALL problems and that is an issue. When problems get to the level of what MANY of us are experiencing, when we have more than the general publics understanding of the system and technical stuff, when we have spent 2 months (I have) with the same isseu EVERY DAY - you learn a LOT, and then the SMS, 10210/7 numbers cannot help. You will FAIL to get a solution.

All we can hope is that Telkom will one day become aware of this shrtfall and introduce a NEW level of control where they need to make sure that the call centre are FORCED to log the issues CORRECTLY, not superficially like they do now. And then, make some kind of RULE that if you have, for EXAMPLE made 5 reports in a 10 day period, for the SAME issue, and it's still happening, you can perhaps MAIL, or even call a number, quote the 5 references, which verifies you have a right to be there, and then you get escalated to a TELKOM employee/manager with skills to do proper diagnostic checks, and give you REAL answers. And these people hopefully have the power to get the right people higher up the chain, to fix it.

I have over 25 reference numbers in a 6 week period, on one line alone, all for the same thing. I have this for 3 different lines i have in town. So I have 75 reference numbers, ALL for the same thing, over a 6 week period. And it's still not resolved. This CAN'T be, so Telkom need to change that.

So all I can offer to you is, do ask Telkom needs you to, sms or call, even if it's just to get a reference. Assume nothing will happen but at least you done that. Call back regularly, at least once a day, for a few days. When this fails, escalate it, and keep calling back every day, to escalate the ecalation. When all this fails, having recorded ALL you have done. Shout and scream here on the community - prove you have done more than what is required, prove you have called so many times, escalated it SO many times, and hope that a modirator here has a number for a REAL TELKOM employee, not the 3rd party call cente, and they call you, and you get action in the right direction. If you can get this contacts number of e-mail. Keep it to yourself, or share with someoone you trust has done as much as you with their issue.

Then when something happens again, and you've done all the painful pointless steps with the call centre, keeping the record, which you can then use to call or mail the same contact you now have and say, look, sorry, have to bother you, tried 15 times with call centre, escalated 6 times, it's been 2 weeks and still.... and hope they can help again.

All I can say is good luck, and that's what has worked for me. Taken me 2 months to get someone to head in the right direction. I'm not getting all the answers, I'm still waiting on LOADS of stuff, still having issues, but HEY I can see light at the end of the copper line. The high dB I've made here have resulted in the response from Telkom speeding from the 1kbps from 10217 to increase to 3mbps so I'm getting SD resolution to my HD problem, and hopefully in a few more days I'll be more connected. If I get to 60% uptime a month, at 4Mbps, even though I'm paying for 100% at 10Mbps, I'd be happy. It'll also cost me a WHOLE LOT less.

Hope this helps you, and anyone else who bothers to read it, quite an essay. But after 2 months you'd expect me to have a lot to say...

PS: ZERO confidence in the call centre with all I have discovered, even with the confirmatiion from the Telkom guys I've spoken to. But I have 100% confidence in Telkom. They have an OUTSTANDING infrastructure, they have the PEOPLE with more than enough Ability, they only need to channel that down to be effective. I hope they get there sooner rather than later.

@Telkom put a TELKOM employee in every call centre, don't rely on the 3rd party to be looking after your interests. It's hurting you BADLY to customers who don't deserve this treatment, and are vry LOYAL and valuable to you. Make us your friend to defend you here. Hope you can find a solution...

Highlighted
New Contributor

All I can say is Ahmen to all the above there is no point in repeating. This is very well summarized. I just hope that this gets to the people that count.

Here is an email address that can be used to lodge complaints and register a refund so I have been told. It is worth a try.

natcc@telkom.co.za

About This Post
  • 55 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 9 Contributors