Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Why Your ADSL speed ain't what it was!

@NCC Are you going to use the D-Link DWR-730 as just another, WIFI Router.

You could also use the USB port of the Netgear DGN2200 as the fallover connection when ADSL goes down. I know it can be done have been going through the setup of the Netgear DGN2200 router not tested yet but will be going down that path in the near future. It is good to know that there is such a feature on some of the ADSL routers. The Billion router and the Netgear DGN 2200 has that feature. I am not near a Netgear router right now but I remember seeing the you can make either the USB modem or ADSL port the Primary connection.

I am assuming that you are going to use the DWR-730 as just another WIFI Router. Not sure how you are going to get your sim to use same date as your ADSL data. If you could get your sim to use the ADSL Username & Password for Internet then yes. Telkom somewhere on there back-end will have to link your sim cell number and the ADSL uname & password together. I am looking at doing this for several of my Clients that have ADSL, as a backup Internet link. Having a standalone 3G WIFI Router is the other way to do it. As a matter of fact we are doing exactly just that at my wifes office if the ADSL wifi link goes down then we just use the Telkom LTE router but we pay for the data on the LTE router seperately. So yes I am keen to find out how Telkom will link the Telkom ADSL data with 3G sim data.

Only somebody at Telkom will be able to do it. The million dollar question is just who. @ncc Maybe you should ask the Billing Department they could do this.

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Highlighted
New Contributor

@NCC Here is contact info for the D-Link support at D-LINK South Africa.

Sarel Naudé

D-Link Africa | Support Engineer

E-mail: sarel@d-link.co.za | E-mail Support: support@d-link.co.za | Direct Number: 012 741 2000

URL: http://www.d-link.co.za | FTP: ftp.d-link.co.za (Download Drivers and Firmware here).

Business Hours: Monday-Friday 08:30 – 16:30 | After Hour Support: Monday-Sunday 08:00 – 21:00

To subscribe to our mailing list click here

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
Highlighted

@charlesmeyer...

The intention was always to connect the new wifi modem to my router. I have a Netgear DGN2200 which is NOT compatible with the D-link modem Telkomsent me. I got a list of compatible modems from Netgear's site, assisted by Telkom.

So there is news for you - Telkom guy, Charl called me to assist with the setup of the D-link modem, but no joy yet. There were issues activating the SIM. I pressume, as you mention, that it must be them trying to LINK the sim with my existing account so that all data through the sim and ADSL line go through one account.

I'm waiting for Telkom to call me back today to help me set up the modem. which at the moment I have connected directly to my Laptop to set up.

We can't use this modem seperate to the router since my router is on the network that controls all my PC's running my POS software. If I connect the D-link modem to my laptop it changes my IP so if my IT guys dial in through the DNS server they can't get on. SO only option is Telkom D-link modem connected to my router.

I'm going to Durban this weekend so will buy a COMPATIBLE dongle to put the Telkom SIM into, so I can connect it like you say on the router as a fail over. But need to get the dongle/sim working first.

As for the SatCom, I knew it was Satelite Communication - I just don't know any firms to contact - can search Google. ADSL is up again today so makes life easier.

Nongoma, noorthern KZN rural, but not like on a farm, have MILLIONS of people living in the area. We have 4G from Vodacom and MTN, I've tested my speed through my cell on the Vodacom Network and get between 4.5 and 6.5Mbps download and between 2.5 to just over 3 Mbps upload. Pings range from 40 to 70ms which is also good.

Telkom ADSL I do get up to 9Mbps when it's working, sometimes less, but never under 5, so that's good, but upload through ADSL is slowe at under 1Mbps. Not that this is an issue at all. Pings are quicker through the ADSL with numbers in the 20's and 30's at worse.

I'll let you know when @NChave set up the modem with SIM they sent how it "connects" to my existing account, they call it INTEGRATED services. It's fairly new, so expecting delays and teething problems while they sort it out. I've waited over 2 months, what's another few days hey... Smiley Happy

Will keep you posted when I can, extremely busy, it's our Year end month for all our companies, we have a few, and our Hardware we also doing year end stock take. Have new tenants moving into our shopping centre, so lots happening... Later.. 

Highlighted

@charlesmeyer in the event someone else wants to get integrated services, I am going to write a seperate blogg for all to see under a different heading... it's not as easy as it's made out so people need to be made aware, as Telkom I think are still learning so you get sent around in circles to get answers....

Highlighted
New Contributor

@NCC Ip settings that change when you use the D-Link Router. When you go into the set-up of the D-LINK router you can change the default IP settings to what ever it is that you want.

1) Are you running all your PC's with fixed IP or via DHCP?

2) What ever IP range your router uses should not affect your IT people from doing remote support, unless they are connecting to devices via a specific IP.

Satcomms.

As I have said somewhere else if you need a company that do Satcomms. I can give you contact info. I am using them at one of my clients it works well. The big secret as I have indicated before is not to settle for a low speed link exampl 2mbps but 5 & up. Satcomms is not meant for speed but for Internet connection where you have no other choice but to get onto the Internet.

LATENCY LATENCY LATENCY is the key word here. The return/ping time that a request goes out and you get a answer back, in milli seconds. The lower the better. Let me know if you need contact info. No secret here it is anyway somebody else might be needing the info. They are using a Satelite which covers the lower southern parts of africa.

Afriglobal via Stargaze

Ilana  crm@afriglobal.co.za  (Sales & Operation’s Manager)

chris  chris@afriglobal.co.za (Director @ Afriglobal Communications.)

011 568 1000

www.afriglobal.com

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hahahaha. @NCC I guess the group of us are pioneers in getting fail over & Integrated services onto the Telkom map ???

We all tend to forget that backup is the most important feature of anything in life. It might very rarely be used but boy if you need it, it better be available.

@NCCBackup systems are only tested and used when people  are in the position that you are currently. It is much appreciated that you are actually the Pioneer of this project taking the time to get it working and giving the feedback.

Oh by the way if you go to a Telkom shop they give you a SIM for free. Why wait for a call centre consultant for 30 + minutes for a consultant and another 3-4 days and then more frustrations to have the SIM rica'd..

Have a wonderful day and shopping in the big city.

About This Post
  • 55 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 9 Contributors