Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member
Accepted Solution

Can't Cancel Telkom? Read Here

OK, so after a year and half of struggling to cancel multiple Telkom business lines, they have once again stolen money from my business account this month. I have many cancelation references and cancelation confirmations. I have sent tons of emails, went to the branch and phoned many times. I am sick and tired of this! I have done everything in my power to get rid of them. They simply do not honor cancelations thus stealing money from us. Obviously I am not the only one with this issue. I am tired of being sent from pillar to post while the fat cats at Telkom steal my hard earned money.

I have decided that I will take this matter to ICASA, NCC, Carte Blanch, Media etc.  I need as many people who struggle to cancel to join the fight. All I need from you is your side of the story with your supporting documents. I will do the rest… I will seek legal counsel once I have all the support I need.

Let’s take them down!

If you want to help, send me a direct message.

Re: Can't Cancel Telkom? Read Here

Hi, l also wanna cancel my yet to begin wifi contract, how can l stay in touch with you?

I cancelled my service online in March and im still being billed?

I have the same problem.  Tried online, store, call center.  No way to cancell.  Just get the run around.  Surely this cant be delibarate?

Where can I send my supporting docuemntation to?

Hi, 

I am also struggling to cancel my LTE contract that has ended. This is ridiculous, i have called, went into a store and i am being reffered to the online cancellation process that does not exist on my profile. Telkom has made it impossible to cancel a contract that should automatically end after the contract period. 

I cancelled my contract 25 April 2017 and still no luck with TELKOM.  After how many emails, confirmations received that my request will be attended to, phone calls, cancelled debit order at bank, taking the money out of my bank account just before the debit order needs to be subtracted I have no way of getting rid of this contract.  TELKOM even took money for payment rejection fee.

I WANT TO RUN AWAY AND SIT AND CRY BECAUSE THIS NEVER ENDS.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE GET THIS ISSUE TO CARTE BLANCHE!!!!!!!!! THIS IS REDICULOUS

This is nothing new. I have written numerous posts about this "impossibility to cancel" racket that Telkom is running. They are definitely not complying to spirit and letter of the law, which is this case in particular is the Consumer Protection Act.

Here is some information about action you can take should Telkom refuse to process your cancellation notice. I refuse to use the word request because the CPA talks about a consumer/customer giving notice not making a request! I copy and pasted these 9 steps from another reply and unfortunately can remember the source.

Below are 9 routes unhappy TELKOM customers can follow.

It's recommended that complaints are put in writing; this serves as a record to future readers of the type and extent of problems experienced with Telkom.

It would be appreciated if readers would update/ correct this list, also indicating what worked to resolve your problem.

--------------------------------------------

natcc@telkom.co.za

Telkom National Customer complaint address

consumer@icasa.org.za

Include your Telkom reference number

https://www.icasa.org.za/…/ConsumerC…/tabid/530/Default.aspx

Get your complaint on this site (not sure of the email address)

https://www.complaintsboard.com/telkom-sa-soc-b119777

Get your complaint on this site (not sure of the email address)

https://community.telkom.co.za/…/The-correct-Emai…/td-p/2493

National Consumer Comission ncc@thedti.gov.za.

Under the Consumer Protection Act you may not be charged for services not delivered, or services not delivered as they were advertised.

https://www.hellopeter.com/

The Star Consumer Watchdog

consumer@star.co.za

----------------------------------------------

Times Live Consumer Watchdog Wendy Knowler

consumer@knowler.co.za

---------------------------------------------

CONSUMER GOODS AND SERVICES OMBUDSMAN

http://www.cgso.org.za/what-we-do/

0860 000 272

info@cgso.org.za

I have no experience which of these steps is the most helpful. From my personal experience you must constantly harass Telkom customer service (or lack thereof). My mobile data contract just ended now and I must go through that same exercise again. Also a thing most people don't seem to know is that there is no automatic contract cancellation. In fact (almost) all contracts have an automatic renewal clause that means the contract, after the stated 24 or 36 months continues, until the customer cancels the contract (by giving notice according to the CPA). And read Section 14 of the CPA in particular, and you will get a good feel on how Telkom seems to be exploiting some legal loophole there.

Just a follow-up on my own post. I have tried the online cancellation facility laid out in "Three_easy_ways....pdf" document Telkom provides somewhere on their FAQ section. A misnomer because it refer to 3 "easy" steps and not ways, It seemed to work and actually complete, after I had to submit an ID document/photo which seems strange, as the CPA makes no mention of this being a requirement. But it did complete and it did say completed, and the completion page displayed a reference number. So I will hopefully see if I receive a "processing request" of some kind in the next requisite up to 7 days that Telkom says it takes to process this request, which really is a notification, as the CPA section 14 talks about notify.

Please Telkom, start using the terms and definitions in the CPA. So many inaccuracies in their customer information. Another nitpick is that it is not 30 days but I think 21 working days that a company has to complete the cancellation, which is almost the same length of time as 21 days + 4 weekends = 29 days, my issue really is that they are translating the CPA instead of the customer reading the CPA themselves, and making their own intrepetation of what it means. If they followed through on these cancellations in a timely manner in the vast majority of cases then I would not have a problem with their wording. So I sincerely hope I don't have to jump through loops to get my cancellation notification honoured this time.

yeah im in on this,,i fckn hate telkom..same issues for a long time..tried to cancel a landline once ..papers were done ... emails were done back and forth as they cant do there work properly..wat a struggle..took four months to get it cancelled..they kept wanting money from me..still didnt my money back..

besides cancelling my line they made a mistake and transfered my line somewhere else...incompetence

now i have proof of paying every month my telkom cell phones and the contracts yet both my phones are off..can you believe it.

secondly they switch it off so no help line even works..this is absolutely pathetic business practices

I have the same PROBLEM. I have been trying for 7months. I have also complained on Hello Peter, Facebook the Community. Luckily I never signed a debit order but I still get billed. I am pretty sure they are doing this on purpose.  THEY ARE CRIMINAL THIEFS and they have to be taken down. I fully support taking the matter to Carte Blanche so the whole of South Africa can be warned not to make use of this criminal enterprise. We have to warn potentional clients that under no circumstances should anyone support Telkom and if they are stupid enough to use them DO NOT SIGN A DEBIT ORDER. I dont know how they have managed get away with this for so long.  I want to join your campaign against Telkom and I belief they must be shut down completely because so many people out there are unaware that Telkom is a crimanal enterprise thats like a cancer you cant get rid of. We should start a public platform to inform people out there about them because the general public dont see everything on the community so a facebook account should be opened to warn the whole of South Africa, so everyone can be warned before more people get trapped in the filthy claws of the TELKOM CANCER!!!!

About This Post
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 Contributors