Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member
Accepted Solution

FIXED LINE LOOK ALIKE PAIN...

If there is anybody out there that can assist, I would be eternally gratefull...  We moved our offices to an area where there is no infrastructure.  The Telkom technician suggested going mobile.  I went to the Telkom shop in Centurion Mall on Thursday, 25/02/2016 at 09h00.  I was then assisted and told that I would need a fixed line look alike service.  I asked all the questions and was assured that this was the answer.  After 2 and a half hours I walked out the shop with my AGP-KW125 wireless phone.  I felt as if I just got the greatest deal in history.  I was also assured that the voice & data services would be activated on Thursday. We moved on Friday, 26/02/2016 and to my great disappointment my "wonderful" equipment was not working.  I spent Friday afternoon on the phone to Telkom.  Needless to say I had no joy sorting out the problem.  On Monday, 29/02/2016, I started phoning 10217 from 08h00.  I spent the WHOLE day on the phone, being transferred, having my call dropped after holding for 40 minutes, you name it, I experienced it.  At 16h00 I still had no answers.  Yesterday, I started again at 8h00 and was promptly told that I would have to go back to the Telkom shop, which is about 30km away from me, by the way...  I did as I was told.  Upon being assisted I was informed that the data was not activated.  It was activated and we tested the equipment and lo and behold it was working.  I was impressed.  When I arrived at the office this morning, I started up the equipment and guess what?  THE USB CABLE CONNECTION IS NOT WORKING!  THE WI FI IS NOT WORKING!!!!  Man Frustrated  I ask you, what in heaven's name am I to do?

Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

Re: FIXED LINE LOOK ALIKE PAIN...

@VAInstallers It sounds like you got most working, now just some desktop issues. Please elaborate with some more details so our members can assist. Give ifo such as errors, what you see, what you have done so far.

Highlighted
Established Member

@NC Thanks for your reply!  That's what frustrates me, no errors nowhere!  Just no connection available.  Greatest joke is that my S5 is actually now connected to the wi fi! Woman Surprised If you have a solution to this mystery I'd be eternally greatful!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@VAInstallers do you see the Wifi network from your PC when you try and connect via wireless?

Highlighted
Established Member

@thesuspect Nope, nothing...  Very frustrating...  The response I got from the person that assisted me at the Telkom store was:  "At least the phone is working."  Great huh?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@NC this is the second post about this device this week.  I went looking for a manual on it and couldn't find anything ...  can we perhaps start with a softcopy of the manual so we at least know what is being described here?

@VAInstallers - details is everything.  Explain step by step what you are trying to do and what you see?  Perhaps you have a hard copy manual with you and that will help us if we understand the steps and what happens at those steps.  As you start you would also need to explain what devices you have and how you are trying to connect ...

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

@VAInstallers@j0766 I will attempt to try and get a soft copy of the manual.

In this case, the fact that the S5 connects means that something is working to a degree.

Is your device and PC on the same security settings (WEP/WPA etc...)?

Is the phone broadcasting an SSID?

What SSID does the S5 detect?

Maybe try and take a photo and post here of the settings on the device.

Highlighted
Established Member

@NC

@j0766

Well, it was the tiniest of issues that none of us thought of...  Instead of obtaining an IP address automatically, my laptop was setup to use a specific IP address.  Changed it to obtain IP automatically and hey presto!  Working like a bomb!  Unfortunately my desktop still cannot connect due to not being wi fi enabled.  I will have to purchase a USB dongle to enable wi fi on it.  Any suggestions on what to purchase?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hmmmm. I think the choices are between a PowerLink adapter (Ethernet over Power) and a USB dongle ... The PowerLink is great and like having a cable into the router. The USB dongle are generally ok and better signal than you would expect. Should be affordable. I like TP-Link, D-Link or Netgear products ... And look for something that is compatible to 802.11n
Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted
Established Member

@j0766 I am also a big fan of ethernet, but that is just the other great problem with this wireless phone thingemagic...  No LAN jack available on the instrument, so I'm going to be stuck with any USB option.  I'm just terrified that it won't work!  And currently I have my D-Link router acting as the communicator between my Bizhub printer and my desktop.  But nothing else will connect to the Bizhub...  It is just so frustrating trying to get everything to communicate wirelessly!  Woman Mad  But I am positive that I will get everything communicating!!!  Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

About This Post
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 Contributors