Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Why Your ADSL Line Fluctuates in speed from Dismal to Disgraceful!!

Hi Folks

RE: The same ole, same ole!!

Bad News I'm afraid!!!

It Looks like the "ASSIA" system is programmed to override the settings of the Technicians who manually change from "Interleaved" (Best speed for line conditions" to "FastPath" (Stuff It! Lets crank this sucker up!).

And until the powers that be fix the Glitch in the software/Hardware you are gonna sit on the phone trying to tell a badly trained support person

(or have we trained them ourselves?) that the sync speed has once again been stuffed up!

SO........

Acting like the North Korean Government "ASSIA" will tell YOU what is good for you on your ADSL line....

Eeeeeeeiiiisssh HellKom!!!

UncaPaul

Highlighted
NCC

Re: Why Your ADSL Line Fluctuates in speed from Dismal to Disgraceful!!

You don't by any chance know how to get hold of Telkom. I've tried 10217 5 times since 9am. We've had intermittent internet for 2 months, have faults reported but need follow up - was on hold for 18min at 9am ,then had to help customers in my business so hung up. Then tried at 9:35 and after 15min on hold gave up, and tried again after 10. was on hold over 20min and gave up. Dialed now again just before 11 and still on hold just over 10min now?  Smiley Sad

Moderator Moderator

@NCC there are other options to try for Service Queries - 

• Contact us on our Social Media Channels
  • Chat to an Agent (an online chat with a Telkom representitive)
  • Reporta fault via SMS:    SMS "SERVICE" and your landline number to 30591. (SMS at no charge.)
  • Call the Call Center
    • Mobile: 081180 (free from a Telkom Mobile phone)
    • Home:   Sales - 10213  & Service - 10120 (free from a Telkom landline)
    • Business: Sales - 10213 & Service - 10217 (free from a Telkom landline)
  • Email us
  • Find a Store
output_Svao80.gif
NCC

I have just spoken to Donald, at Telkom 10217, who claims to be senior manager, after the lady I was innitially speaking to put me through to escalate the matter.

DONALD TOLD ME NOT to use the SMS system to report faults as it does NOT allocate the fault in the Telkom System. So you should NOT be telling people on this platform to do so.

The only system that works is calling 10217. But I said I did call 10217 yesterday and as confirmed by Donald NONE of that call information is recorded on the SYSTEM. Yes, my call was recorded, but NO action was taken by the agent of Telkom to allocate the call or reference properly. So yesterday was a TOTAL waste of time.

And I have to re-open ALL the issues from the start - and now they want to test my lines, tell me if my equipment is faulty then I will be charged a fee, etc etc... like that has ANYTHING to do with the fact the exchange is down.

TOTAL WASTE OF TIME.

Frequent Contributor

@NCC on average I have timed that calls to 1021x takes about 30 minutes before they answer.  My suggestion is to put it on speakerphone and carry on with something else.  Normally I troll these forums to see if there is anything useful where I might be able to contribute....  the (not so) subliminal messaging on the line is nudging you here anyways !!! Smiley Wink

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Frequent Contributor

I think the key thing that is necessary is for the call logging and ticketing system to be transparent to the users.  We need to be able to see what notes, escalations and comments are recorded in there...  if you see that you would be more aware of what is going on at Telkom ... not necessarily less frustrated but at least more informed

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Occasional Contributor

Hi NCC

Here is an email from Telkom "cut and pasted"

Hyron Angelo via RT <support@telkomsa.net>

Good day
Thank you for contacting Telkom Support
We have found that your port profile was set to 8192kbps on a 10240kbps line thus the unstable speed. We have rectified this your port profile is now set to 10240kbps. Should you experience any further problems feel free to contact our Technical department on 10210.
Regards
Telkom Support

On Mon Jan 18 13:30:53 2016, SupportDesk@*********.co.za wrote:
> Hi
> ref:0333431554
> Please reset my ADSL Line Back to 10Mb and not 8Mb as is the
> case at the moment.
>
> Regards
> UncaPaul

Telkom Internet Technical Support
Email: support@telkomsa.net
Tel: 10210
NB: This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited e-mail legal notice which can be viewed at: http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF Should you be unable to access the link provided, a copy of the legal notice will be e-mailed to you on sending a blank e-mail to legalnotice@telkom.co.za

Email Seems to me to be the Best way my problem was sorted out within a day.

Regards

UncaPaul

Paul,

Did this fix your problem?  Just wondering since bandwidth varies significantly on my line too, but think it is less to do with my hardware and line (brand new fibre) and more to do with the supplier end (Telkom) infrastructure.. (They gave me a great new pipe line, just nothing flows down the pipe line)  Consumers need to know what to expect when they sign up with Telkom, I don't at this stage believe they have the ability to provide the bandwidth they are promising, and should thus not misrepresent themselves..  Just wondering thats all..  What is everyone elses experience?

Va

I've had everything from 10 to a 2MBps line now. It all just depends on how willing TELKOM is to give you the speed and if you're not getting it then to try figure out the prob.

My linespeed also fluctuates but as soon as it gets overcast or start raining my ADSL line goes dead..... and sometimes also my voice line.

About This Post
  • 9 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 7 Contributors