Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Telkom going green

For those that have not driven past our campus in Centurion, you would be interested to know that we are in phase 1 of our sustainability drive to go green in an attempt to ofset our carbon footprint.  Over the last few months, we have been upgrading our parking area. We now have Photovoltaic cells covering 1800 shaded car ports. In total, our solar farm will generate just over 3MW of clean energy to power the campus. To put that into perspective, our campus uses about 7.4MW of electricity per day, with our state of the art data centre using 4MW of that. The addition of the solar farm will contribute about half of our power needs during peak time.

In future we will also look at adding gas generators as well as battery backups. There is even talk of adding rain and grey water harvesting to the equation.

Telkom-solar-farm-car-ports-640x398.jpgTelkom-solar-farm-car-ports-base-640x424.jpgTelkom-solar-farm-close-up-of-panels-640x424.jpgTelkom-solar-farm-close-up-of-panels-at-angle-640x424.jpgTelkom-solar-farm-panel-installations-640x427.jpg

Telkom-solar-farm-phase-1.jpg

Telkom-solar-farm-plant-room-1-e1462968887691-640x1138.jpg

Telkom-solar-farm-plant-room-2-e1462968913882-640x1138.jpg

Telkom-solar-farm-showing-roof-angle-640x424.jpgTelkom-solar-farm-under-construction-640x360.jpgTelkom-solar-farm-wide-640x424.jpg

Re: Telkom going green

Hey glad to hear u guys going further.... I work down the road from you so yes ivr noticed the expansions etc etc... But sadly I've been going to the mall every few days to find out the new contract deal prices... Only to find out that I'm supposed to take out a new contract on the old packages. So upset knowing that being loyal to telkom in home and mobile is giving me headaches and grief. So I cant upgrade as prices are super old on Telkom mobile... And wrt Telkom home I'm stuck on a two year contract with our cables being stolen every two months or so.... Running up our data with other networks since adsl at home doesn't work.... Really patient but now its really upsetting.... Is everyone just not interested in customers but rather expanding the parking???
Moderator Moderator

Hi @jml786, regarding you stolen lines, why not go to a Telkom Store and enquire about getting an "Integrated Data SIM". It allows you to access the internet via our Mobile network but it links to your ADSL data account. For Example you have a 10Gb ADSL Account. The IDS will give you access to that 10Gb data wallet. It is great for Failover redundancy. Many of our routers have place for a USB 3G Dongle for Failover.

output_Svao80.gif

Wow that's the first bit of constructive information given. Is there extra charges related to this service. Wrt the new Telkom mobile deals... What's happening there?
Frequent Contributor

Great post - thanks for sharing @AW - good to know that Telkom is doing their bit for the environment.

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Moderator Moderator

Hi @jml786, there is no extra charge if you have an Internet account (example ADSL). It uses of your ADSL cap. For more info please see this link - Integrated Data SIM

output_Svao80.gif

Thanks. Wrt the new Telkom mobile deals... What's happening there? Also deal of the month ??? Looking and cant find any details.
Moderator Moderator

@jml786, i can't share anything quite yet, but there is some exciting and interesting deals coming shortly. For the deal of the month - https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/campaign/deal-of-the-month/

output_Svao80.gif
Highlighted

I just wish you guys would just give a date. I feel so pressured on the one side I want to stick with Telkom and on the other my husband keeps pressurising me to port to another network... The new books were supposed to be out around 6 may then they said 19th and now its over a month later.... So sadly drpressing
About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 Contributors