Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

500GB NightSurfer throttled?

I have the SmartBroadband 30GB LTE, and I activated the "500GB for R50" on the 22nd July...

Ever since I activated the 500GB, I have noticed my download speed is never above 100KB/s... during night Surfer.

I usually wake up 4am to do online courses and suddenly, the 15min video takes 25min because of buffering...

I tried downloading some software (1.7GB) at 04:35 and the peak speed was 68kb/s... 100Mb of Windows2012 update took 48min.

I downloaded the same software at 15:15 and the peak speed was 716kb/s, lowest was 388Kb/s...

Before you ask, I work in IT: Network, Voice, so I did restart, reset, reconfig, swapout but still I get the same response.

I spoke to Telkom's customer care... and I am now waiting up to 72hrs for Networks to response.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

Re: 500GB NightSurfer throttled?

I have had mine for a week and have not experienced any throttling. Basically the same speed as during the day. Check your router settings.

I have had mine for a week and get between 1.8  and 2.2 MB per second downloads, which translates to about 18Mb/s connection speed. So pretty much same as my daytime speed. I've used about 200Gb already. 

Check your router settings.

Hi...

Which router are you using?

I am using the Huawei B593, its about 4yrs old now.

Highlighted

Same issue here (only started recently). We hardly ever use night surfer data but in the last week suddenly our LTE appears to get switched off just after midnight and it comes on again at around 4ish. 

My 500GB expired on the 25 August. since then, my speed is back to normal.

I am getting download speed of 2.5Mb/s... Mornitored this around 04:00.

I will never activate it again.

The other reason... you can start using it after you used all your normal night-Surfer.

I have 50GB ! ! !

I am having very much the same problem.

AFter taking out a new contract of 20GB + 20 GB, the 12AM to 7:00am speeds drop ridiculously. I get about 1Mbps at night but suddenly whilst sitting at my PC and the clock ticks over 7:01 and suddenly my speeds shoot up over 20Mbps.

from 1PM to 7AM the one night it couldn't download my Windows upgrade file of around 2GB. But suddenly after 7AM it did 550MB in 10 Mins.

It's not the servers as this same 550MB file is actually around 640MB and from 6:30am to 7AM it was downloading slowly until the clokc ticked to 7:01am and suddenly lightning mcqueen takes over and come out first finishing 500mb in under 10 mins..........

I am experiencing the same. Download speed 1.2MB its crazy. Takes forever. I do however manage to download about 200GB pm.... So for R50.... What can you expect 3G speed.

It's seriously trash, like what is the point of buying it, when it's so slow you can't even stream a YouTube video...
About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 Contributors