Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Beware - Telkom SIM not working in Vodafone MiFi

I needed an LTE MiFi in a hurry, and the Telkom store queue was practically out the door and not moving so I went to Vodacom where there were more sales people than customers. The device they sold me is a Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi R216-Z.

The problem is, I can't get my Telkom SIM to work in it. Everything seems OK, and surely this device wouldn't be carrier locked - it gets signal and registers on the network - but the data doesn't work.

When my data bundle is used up I guess I'll have to get a Vodacom SIM...

Buyer beware.

Established Member

Re: Beware - Telkom SIM not working in Vodafone MiFi

Hey @coderanger - so I think this is more a hardware issue with your MiFi than the SIM card.

I had a similar experience with a Huwaei MiFi I got from Orange when visiting France and trying to get my Telkom SIM in it. I got the data, but it didn't work. And it really peeved me off.

I did a quick research about the model of your MiFi and it says on a few websites that that model is designed specifically for Vodafone SIM, your workaround would be to unsimlock it.

Here are the steps they suggest:

1. Make sure your Vodafone R216 4G Mobile WiFi router is atleast 30 % charged.( OR ) Connected to power supply

2. Insert your Telkom SIM in your Vodafone R216 4G router SIM card slot. (It has to be the one of the network that's not working)

3. After changing the another network providers sim on your Huawei WiFi / MiFi switch the device on. It will display “Invalid SIM” because you have used another network providers sim.

4. Now just establish a WiFi connection to Huawei Vodafone R216 4G WiFi MiFi router with your device

5. Login to your device’s dashboard at 192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.8.1. Go to Advanced Settings > SIM Settings > Unlock Device > Enter Unlock Code > Click on Apply.

Let me know if this works?

Hi am experiencing the same problem were do l get the unlock code
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Enter *99# as ip4 dailup number

New Contributor

Compatibility

Vodacom locks their devices

It's best stick to the telkom devices they don't impose restrictions on customers

Thanks

Goodwish Matyila

Best solutions for Business.

Orenlabs Custom Software

About This Post
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 Contributors