Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Keyone does not detect 4G

I recently purchased a Blackberry Keyone (BBB100-2) and dont seem to be able to get onto Telkom's 4G network.

The option is not available despite the phone supporting the bands.

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300).

I have tried other simcards (including another Telkom simcard) with the following results:

Telkom sim: Same issue.

Any other network: able to see their 4G network and, when searching for networks manually, can see Telkom's 4g.

Any ideas as to the reason? As far as I can see the phone supports the network band.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Blackberry Keyone does not detect 4G

Hi @latinlyrics

Saw great reviews on your BB Keyone , nice phone !   4g should work fine in range of a Telkom tower - they use two LTE spectrum bands, both supported by your phone specs - 1800MHz and 2300 MHz . 

If you’ve already set APN to TelkomInternet on 4g , try switching off Bluetooth, WiFi, & roaming - then reboot the phone & see if it connects.

If that doesn’t work,  try setting APN to  “unrestricted” (Telkom apparently made some recent APN changes)

Good luck, hope this helps. 

@Kathy1

Thank you very much for the reply. I do love the phone and am looking forward to getting the Key2 in the coming months.

I have tried both APN's and also turning off wifi and bluetooth as well as resetting the network but no luck.

It is very strange that I am able to see all 4G networks with another network's sim. It is almost like Telkom is blocking me somehow somewhere.

Regular Contributor

Hi @latinlyrics

I saw a couple of internet threads re the Keyone receiver picking up a weaker 4g signal inside compared to other phones.

Are you using Telkom 4g on other devices in the same place ?

Otherwise sorry wasn't any help . Perhaps take the sim & phone to a Tlkm Mobile shop - hopefully their support agents will find the solution.

@Kathy1

Thank you, you did help by rulling out a few things. I have been to a few stores but they were clueless. I managed to resolve the issue ... or rather get a workaround.

Installed 4G switcher and this allowed me to change some network settings. I now get perfect 4G signal.

Thanks again.

Regular Contributor

@latinlyrics

You're very welcome & thanks for update. I didn't know about  a 4g switcher app .(I used BB for years but don't use android these days).

Thanks for your resolution, it'll help others with similar issue.

About This Post
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 Contributors