Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot access internet

[ Edited ]

I cannot access the internet using my Telkom supplied Sim in my iPad4. I have done eveerything I know how but still whenever I try a site I just get the error message "Could Not Activate cellular data network"

Cellular data is turned on and I have a 4 dot Telkom 3G bar, top left of my iPad, and my I have no internet problems when I use our WiFi.

Telkom was supposed to have activated my card to our internet account so I dont know what else could be wrong.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Cannot access internet

Hi @ABDurbs

Could you test whether the Telkom sim activates cellular data network  in a phone (with cellular data on / wifi off) ? 

[ Edited ]

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I tried the card in a phone with wifi disabled. It shows 4G but no connection and does not say Telkom at the top?

Established Member

Ive got the same problem on my iphone. It shows telkom 3G but no internet access at all! I went to setting and changed the carrier to mtn, it works for 5minutes intermittantly. I think telkom is upto its nonsense again.. btw i have 11gigs available on my package.

Highlighted
Established Member

Ive got the same problem on my iphone. It shows telkom 3G but no internet access at all! I went to setting and changed the carrier to mtn, it works for 5minutes intermittantly. I think telkom is upto its nonsense again.. btw i have 11gigs available on my package.

Valued Contributor

Hi @ABDurbs

I’m guessing  either your sim isn’t activated / verified , or might be locked to the Telkom router on your internet package.

Best option would be to visit a store with the sim  - take ID & proof of address in case rica needed. (They usually activate same day) .

Or you can request sim activation online here  https://sim.telkom.co.za/index.php

& check on Telkom’s portal that you have data available on your package. 

Then call Telkom support at 10210 or chat to an agent online here : https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/help/personal/#start-chat

Hope they sort it out for you soon.

Valued Contributor

Hi @Doepke

Thanks for your post -  @ABDurbs says Telkom 3g network signal appears on the iPad,  so the issue could be Telkom mobile network outage and not sim problem .

Would you advise report a fault or keep trying to connect till network restored ?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply.

I still cant connect and this has been going on for 3 days so I have no idea what is going on. I have tried to log a fault, but when I insert the sim's Telkom number, I get an error message saying the number is not registered with Telkom, yet it is showing on our profile. I did however log a fault using one of the other sites, but am STILL waiting to hear from Telkom. I also messgaed them via FB, but no reply. So fed up.

Valued Contributor

@ABDurbs

So sorry to see you’re still battling ...horribly frustrating not getting decent feedback. 

Have seen good results from Telkom media support teams, they usually respond within 48 hours so hopefully your FB message will get results soon. 

Either way - persist with follow ups on FB  , also email your fault ref, details, & any other refs you’ve received to support@telkom.co.za  ( my issues were fixed soon after I did that).

Just a thought … iPad cellular data APN settings was likely one of the first things you changed, but just in case - APN should be TelkomInternet.

Good luck,  please do keep us posted.

[ Edited ]

I have reset the network twice, inserted telkominternet, and despite that I am still having a problem connecting, yet I have Telkom 3G showing top left of my iPad. 

iPad issue..jpgiPad error message

About This Post
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 Contributors