Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Different LTE Router

I would like to find out if anyone has managed to use a different router on the Telkom LTE network, I've tried using the a D-LINK dwr-921 with no success.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Different LTE Router

@turbogo you need to look for a router that supports 2300Mhz frequency

Thanks for your reply, I don't think the DWR-921 supports the 2300Mhz frequency band. I thought Telkom was restricting the connections to Huawei b series routers.

Okay, I checked the spec for the DWR-921 and I found the following...

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA band

• 900/2100 MHz
  • Power Class 3

LTE band

• 900/1800/2600/800 MHz

Seems like it does not support the 2300Mhz band

Thank you again @thesuspect

Regular Contributor

@turbogo  Did some digging on their site

Why Telkom’s LTE?

Telkom Mobile is rolling out LTE on the 2300MHz radio frequency spectrum band, which means more capacity, no congestion, consistent connectivity and great speeds. Telkom has coverage across Gauteng, Western, Central, Eastern and Southern region.

http://www.telkom.co.za/today/shop/futurehood/lte/

@thesuspect seems like there aren't a lot of routers that support the 2300Mhz band, I'm only getting Huawei routers on my google search. My problem with the Huawei routers is that they block inbound traffic and you need to do the DMZ work around to get it to work.

New Contributor

Am I reading correctly that before  we buy a LTE router we should first find out on what frequency the Provider we are going to use is makking LTE available on ??? Are we now being tied into a Provider again like the 3G USB Modems. Which means if I am fedup with Telkom and want to go to MTN I now have to buy another LTE router ???

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
New Contributor

Why do companies sell you a router without asking which service provider you are going to use related to the frequency is this really true that LTE is being made available on different frequencies ??????. Maybe I am just very ignorant when it comes to what is use on what frequency. Maybe somebody can put together a table showing what andwho  is using on what ever frequency.

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 Contributors