Important! Community will be closing.

Please go to gethelp.telkom.co.za
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member

FAMILY MEMBERS DATA ALLOCATION

I need some help.  I have a B315 Router on an uncapped Lte broadband residential line.  I have two hoggs in the house, a daughter that is at varsity and a sixteen year old boy whos hormones are going haywire.  I want to give each a certain limited amount of bandwidth per month.  How do I do this?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: FAMILY MEMBERS DATA ALLOCATION

@doubleujayh, a tricky one. These types of simple home routers dont really let you do that. You can usually do MAC address filtering to block people from accessing a router, or you can do Parental Control where you can set certain times per day that the internet is accessible, as well as block certain sites.

Highlighted
Established Member

I am aware of the MAC address Parental Control options but do not want to limit them entirely.  The idea is to give them a piece of the pie but when it is up... it is up. No more nada

Highlighted
Established Member

I can't believe that this is not possible in this day and age.  I am at wits end. Telkom keeps sending me threatening messages about throttling and suspension on something that that I have little control over bar disabling the device completely or taking away the kids gadgets!

Highlighted
Contributor

@doubleujayh, be the parent! Smiley Mad ANywayz, there probably is ways of doing it. Googling the subject brings up very technical solutions involving customer router firmware ot installing a proxy server etc...

You could also try a Parental DNS service that blocks certain types of sites. I all, you are wanting BMW extras on a Polo Vivo.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

Highlighted
Established Member

I have done that. I have put a Netgear router as access point in front of the Huawei B315 with an OpenDns parental control dns to control access to specific sites. Thanks anyway for trying to assist.

Sent from my iPad
About This Post
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 Contributors