Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

FreeMe Social Media Throttling

It's ridiculous how after you finish the free me data (which is supposed to only be for whatsapp) it turns all your apps (instagram, Facebook) into useless apps because it throttles to 64kbps regardless of whether you still have 5gigs left on the all network data. It really makes no sense and is extremely annoying. Please can someone fix this.
Moderator Moderator

Re: FreeMe Social Media Throttling

Hi @Laylow_jay, thanks for raising your concern. I have directed this to our product team to look into.

output_Svao80.gif
Moderator Moderator

Hi @Laylow_jay. Our product team logged a case to investigate this query of yours. They came back to me to say that they are unable to replicate the issues you experienced. They used a 5Gb FreeMe as a test and depleted the Social Media data. After that point, only WhatsApp, Viber and BBM were limited. They were still able to use Facebook and Instagram at full speed. Facebooka nd Instagram is not zero rated and does not form part of the Social Media data that only includes WhatsApp, Viber and BBM.

The suggestion is that if you still experience this issue, to please go in store and demo your issue to a consultant.

output_Svao80.gif

It was fixed after I raised the issue, it seems to have been resolved. Since 16 March 2017 on both my headset and other people I know who were experiencing the problem. Thank you for raising it.

I'm experiencing the same type of issue. I do have more than 12 Gigs of data left when this triggered (throtteling). It is for sure affecting facebook as this is what started my investigation into this issue. Why cant part of your data rather be used for social media as this is what consumes the most data from most users. What are we as clients supposed to do with the rest of our data? This is so frustrating. There is no use in getting this plan in the first case. No where was there any indication that you will be throttled. This usually applies to people that has uncapped data. Obviously fair use policy but this is ridiculous. I had to explain to the technical guy over the phone that this is what is happening because they didn't have the knowledge. Please advise.

Regards

Emile

I spoke too soon, it hasn't been fixed and it's definitely a huge problem.... Because it defeats the purpose of data. I don't think telkom is aware. I believe it has to do with the fact that Facebook owns both whatsapp and instagram... So the telkom network picks it up as one connection on the back end since Facebook has linked all it's apps. Only way to fix this is to go to telkom head office and talk to a senior technical guy. No1 can help within the normal help centers because they just tell you "its only whatsapp, bbm and viber" when we as customers keep telling them.

I'll go demo it at Menlyn Telkom. It hasn't been fixed.

I'm experiencing the same problem. Nothing on instagram will load once my freeme social media data has expired even though I've got the 10gig package which I specifally took out as I don't have internet at home and wanted to browse at leisure! This needs to be fixed as why should we be throttled with data we are paying for and should be able to use as we please for social media

Hi Guys

I also experiencing same issue with FreeMe bundles dipleted and my upload speed decrease drastically especially on WhatsApp. I bought “Once Off All Network Data Bundles” and now am struggling sending files on WhatsApp. I called Telkom Custormer Care and could not resolve this. It’s been 5min after called them still waiting for my reference number to be SMS’ed like seriously now? Can’t it get SMS’ed before i drop the call?

I think WhatsApp works fine if you buy FreeMe bundles but that 31Days sucks! Please Telkom look into this soonest. We love you Telkom best Data deals but Speed is very critical to most of us.

Regards
Zaphi
Email: Zaphi47@gmail.com
Established Member

Hi Zaphi47

The work around to your problem is to use WhatsApp for your PC/Laptop and do your uploading that way.  The PC version uses your normal data bundle instead of the "social medial bundle".  You'll also have to tether your handset to your PC/laptop either via USB or WiFi.  Bluetooth will be just as slow as your 64kb.

About This Post
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 Contributors