Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member

I feel cheated by LTE uncapped - very slow speeds and high latency in Reservoir Hills

Hi. There is very slow internet speeds and high latency when using LTE in Reservoir Hills for a while now.  I signed up based on the high download/upload speeds advertised but lately have been getting about 5Mbps download and latency >100ms. The signal quality is the same (SINR and RSRP) so it's not a problem with my router or antenna but the download and latency have slowed down drastically. I really find this unacceptable. I now regret taking the contract as Telkom is not keeping to its part.

Regular Contributor

Re: I feel cheated by LTE uncapped - very slow speeds and high latency in Reservoir Hills

@mailmweb, I've heard a lot of good about LTE hear, I hope you have reported the issue and got a ref.

Established Member

Re: I feel cheated by LTE uncapped - very slow speeds and high latency in Reservoir Hills

The online chat didn't work properly. Calling takes more than half an hour.
Moderator Moderator

Hi @mailmweb, we have other service channels to report this - 

• Contact us on our Social Media Channels
  • Chat to an Agent (an online chat with a Telkom representitive)
  • Reporta fault via SMS:    SMS "SERVICE" and your landline number to 30591. (SMS at no charge.)
  • Call the Call Center
    • Mobile: 081180 (free from a Telkom Mobile phone)
    • Home:   Sales - 10213  & Service - 10210 (free from a Telkom landline)
    • Business: Sales - 10213 & Service - 10217 (free from a Telkom landline)
  • Email us
  • Find a Store

output_Svao80.gif

Same hear in Clare Estate . Signed up with the LTE R599 promo. But around 7pm the speeds for surfing and YouTube buffers and Facebook is slow. It suppose to be no throttling on http traffic. Also no one can tell which tower I am connecting to as it suppose to be a limited number per tower.

I have gone from great to terrible in less than 12 months. 

Pretoria East - Equestria - LTE uncapped Smart BroadbandTelkom speeds.PNG

I get less than 0.5mbps in the evening and on weekends. notwithstanding slower latency as well.

I have sent mails to their online response and still awaiting feedback. 

How do I cancel - they can have the router back then as well - so no need to pay penalties

Established Member

I have been making use of the service since it came out in my area (Murrayfield, Pretoria) and in the beginning I was getting 60-75Mbps download and 3Mbps Upload.  However for the last 3 months now I have been getting 1.5 - 3.5 Mbps Download and 3.5 - 5.5 Mbps Upload speeds (crazy that upload is faster than download).

Every month I call in and get a reference number and nothing happens. So started a chat session with Michelle Adams this evening trying to get a reference number and firstly she said that "6:03:48 PMMichelle: Yes we are aware of the problem, our technitions are working on it." and then later in the chat "6:05:08 PMMichelle: We apologize for the inconvenience cause Michael, this time around it's not only you wioth the problem.".

When pushed for a reference number she refused to give on the chat then killed the chat session (luckily I copied and pasted it before she did that).

Telkom all I ask is that if there is a known issue on the network and I am getting a degraded service, surely you should be thinking about refunding / crediting our accounts until such time that you have sorted out your network?

I am in Morningside Durban and is experiencing the same problem.  Reported to Telkom and issued with a reference number.  It is almost two weeks now and I still have not heard from them .... 

Established Member

You are all being throtteled, next step is 256kb/s. Stage 1 - 4Mbps after around 185GB of data usage.
Stage 2 - 256kb/s at the 250GB mark
Steaming is now included in the cap
Mac

cheated by LTE uncapped

This is True, Telkom's new AUP makes the uncapped service a Capped service and gives them the right according to the contract to do whatever they want and can add or remove any clause as they see fit. They have Baited consumers into this contract which in terms of the CPA is UNLAWFUL. You would find more people with this same problem on My Boardband and Lazygamer that have complaint to ICASA and the CPA, i recommend you follow upon this and also complain as telkom has breach their agreement and set aside this contract.

About This Post
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 Contributors