Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is Uncapped LTE really uncapped??

My partner and I both work from home, using the internet. We have been looking into upgrading our current LTE 50 GB package day and 50GB night time to the uncapped package.

However we were informed by a sales consultant that the uncapped is throttled at 150GB's of data which may make the network very slow and we will be unable to work.She did inform us that we would be able to purchase extra bundles should we need to.

Why would anyone go for an uncapped deal if we will need to buy extra data when we run out because it is capped at 150. Also if we are throttled at 150 and our network becomes basically unusable then it is still capped because it is unusable.

Could you please explain how is this said to be uncapped if it is clearly capped and we did ask the same question numerous times to make sure we heard correctly.

Last month we used approximitely 1 TB of data switching between Telkom and Rain and we only paid R250 for Rain(off peak bundle) and majority of the data was used on the Rain sim card. We do need to work during peak hours at times and for this reason we need uncapped.

Could someone please tell me if she is telling the truth or  if she doesn't know what she was talking about.

Also please do advise if there are actually any uncapped deals for WIFI? And if not are then are the fibre or LTE deals actually uncapped? 

We are more keen on WIFI because we can work from anywhere and a fixed line would constrict us.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Is Uncapped LTE really uncapped??

Hi @canny

Yep, guessing you might have problems if your heavy usage is often at peak times . Pretty sure the Telkom consultant was wrong about “150GB “ cap”,  as I gather their LTE (FUP) usage threshold hasn’t changed since their latest public disclosure  - you might find this recent article useful for a bit more info  :- 

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/269013-uncapped-lte-fair-use-policies-compared-telkom-rain-...

‘Telkom’s website only provides a vague acceptable use policy, stating that it reserves the right to apply restrictions on an uncapped account if a customer’s behaviour is determined to be affecting the user experience of others.

‘In selected areas, Telkom offers a two-year uncapped SmartBroadband package for R799 per month, which promises download speeds of up to 90Mbps and uploads of up to 25Mbps.

Telkom’s last public disclosure about the thresholds for its uncapped LTE product stated:

• When you exceed 300GB of usage, you are throttled to 4Mbps.
  • When you exceed 350GB of usage your connection will be throttled to 2Mbps for the remainder of the month.
  • A separate threshold of 50GB for peer-to-peer services such as BitTorrent and Skype, as well as NNTP. Once you reach the threshold, these services are throttled to 128kbps.’

Hope this helps a bit. 

About This Post
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 Contributors