Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

LTE - FUP not accurate

I have signed up for the LTE deal a few months back for R799 uncapped. Telkom stated that you have Uncapped internet but you are capped to 50GB on torrents and Usenet providers. I don't download from torrents or usenet providers. My total for this month is 200gb on the uncapped and 33GB on the FUP section. I phoned Telkom but they can't explain why there's 33GB on my FUP section. I think there's something dodgy going on Telkom.

I didn't sign up for this and at the moment I'm thinking of just going back to ADSL so how can I cancel this without paying for penalties as this is not what was advertised?

Regular Contributor

Re: LTE - FUP not accurate

@RenVilo, you do not really say what you do on the line. 200Gb is a lot considering you are not doing Torrents. The FUP is P2P so I know that many games platforms use P2P to connect and distirbute their downloads.

@thesuspect I work from home. So most of my data will be the following (in order of highest usage):

FTP Downloads (Databases, software version builds, website backups etc. Some databases are around 30/40gb)

Netbeans

Google Browsing, Gmail, Whatsapp, facebook etc.

Youtube (Mostly my kid who streams this)

Deezer (Not really much but evern now and then I'll use it)

Dropbox

Online gaming

I know online gaming doesn't take much data and well I don't game that much anymore as well. I don't mind that some of the FUP is used because I heard Steam/Origin and so on uses P2P which telkom does take as FUP (which I think shouldn't be) but still that's only updates. There's no way that my steam games updated so much as I only have a few games in there.

It would be nice to know certain things like what is P2P exactly according to telkom. Does windows updates count as P2P? I know there was a big update on their side and I have it on 4 pc's. So that's 4x 1 update basically. But that's surely can't be P2P and even if it is its not close to 33GB. From my initial post I have only used about 200mb in my FUP sectoin. This I can understand. Not 33GB. Even if you look at my previous months data, I didn't use anything close to the 33GB. Last month I think it was 10GB. 8GB of that data was towards the Battlefield 1 game I downloaded. so 2GB was used against my FUP. 

I think the problem is I did something like a downloard from FTP server or something and telkom sees that as FUP. This is what I'm trying to figure out. What I'm doing that you guys think is P2P which I don't see as P2P.

Regular Contributor

Hey @RenVilo, I am not a "You Guys".... am member like everyone else.

Doing a little digging seems to suggest that Windows 10 Updates are over P2P. WHats more, from that point on your PC becomes a node to share the update with others. Read this on how to disable - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-...

I dont game, but hear from friends that these games are huge and continually update huge amounts. Telkom would look at Ports and possible deep packet inspection to determine if its P2P. Remember this is done to try and give everyone a fair experience, rather than having a few people hog all the bandwidth and kill it for the rest.

@thesuspect I checked and all 4 computers has that windows feature set to "off" so the windows update is from the Microsoft server that it downloads. Surely that should not count as P2P.

Programs like steam/origin/ubisoft does do updates. Initial games are very big, that I know. Updates, not that big. mostly around 1gb if that. I have a few games in my library. So I don't think its due to games updating.

Also, I suddenly dropped in speed from 30mbps to 3/4mbps. I think Telkom is now throttling me because I'm over the 200gb mark. I know they do this on 4mb uncapped ADSL. Surely this can't be right? I haven't reached the 50GB cap on the P2P section so why am I being throttled?

I did over 400gb (some cases 800gb) on my 10mb adsl with the 50GB capped account (I tried to mostly schedule my downloads on the 12-7 nightsurfer time) so how can this "uncapped" start to throttle me at 200gb? If so then I should be surely able to cancel without paying penalties because this is not what I signed up for.

Highlighted
Established Member

Streaming now forms part of the cap, all data actually. You should be throtteled, next step is 256kb/s. Stage 1 - 4Mbps after around 185GB of data usage.
Stage 2 - 256kb/s at the 250GB mark

Yea I got someone to take over my contract. Very happy telkom let's you do this. I'm back on adsl with 100gb cap and unlimited night surfer Smiley Happy

Established Member

You should be able to opt out without someone taking it over seeing they changed the termd of the contract.
Contributor

Smiley Sad this was always part of their FUP/AUP... Just think they are now forced to enforce it more strictly due to slow speeds on the LTE

Established Member

Nope was not part of it. Is now, but a few months ago this was their promise when we all signed up.
Uncapped wireless broadband is really uncapped for almost all applications and uses. These include email, browsing, streaming traffic like video, music, YouTube, AppleTV, Box Office, Netflix, VPN, VOIP, real time online gaming, backups and gaming downloads.

For these you will never be capped and throttled. This means consumers will enjoy the full benefit of a truly unlimited experience with Telkom's LTE Uncapped service. Telkom's 50GB fair usage policy cap ONLY applies to Bit Torrent traffic via peer to peer and news servers protocols (NNTP).
About This Post
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 Contributors