Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

LTE Night Surfer Data

I've just given in and got an LTE month to month contract for my new place, because Telkom are unable to provide DSL or Fibre (even though the distrubution box is at the bottom of the frikkin road, but that's a whole different angry rant story!).

I went with a 30Gb package, as the marketing mentions extra "Night Surfer" data between midnight and 7am. But when I was picking up the hardware at the store this afternoon, the sales rep mentioned in passing that I need to reboot the modem at midnight to activate this every day!? Can someone please explain this to me? How in the world is this really an actual thing? Like how is this techincally a possible? And if it is a legitimate thing that can be logically explained, can someone point me to where this is documented by Telkom T&Cs? A quick google didn't reveal much, only this post where most people seem to think it's BS.

Any help is much appreciated!

Occasional Contributor

Re: LTE Night Surfer Data

[ Edited ]

@shauno I dont have a workable solution, but thanks for posting, and making it fun to read! Perhaps this issue explains why telkom seems to have slowed down on the uncapped LTE offers and installation.

Since you are committed already, and perhaps short of options (unless you plan to 'pack for Perth'), and while you wait for a solution from Telkom perhaps you should invest in a programmable timer that switched off and on your power to the router just before and after midnight respectively. Your local harware or electrical store should have a basic one for under R300, I think.

Hi Jkjakes

Thanks for the reply. I'm not opposed to the idea of getting some sort of timer per se, but I want to understand *WHY* I would need this.

It's nearly 2016, I cannot fathom a reason rebooting a modem once a day would be required for any technical reason, but I would love to learn! If there is a good technical reason, how come I don't need to do the same at 7am to switch back to normal data?

Any insight is appreciated!

Occasional Contributor

@shauno insight into Telkom? good luck with that LOL.

The way I see it is that the creative people in Telkom's Product Development and their equally brilliant colleagues in Marketing do not discuss their great ideas with the poor folks in Operations and Technology. So sometimes they come out with really great offers that the tech and Ops people can't deliver. The service issues we experience is the manifestation of the lag before they catch up. Eventually they do - but by then something new is out and the cycle continues.

I have learned to live with it - what other choice do I have?

Highlighted

@Jkjakes wrote:

@shauno insight into Telkom? good luck with that LOL.

The way I see it is that the creative people in Telkom's Product Development and their equally brilliant colleagues in Marketing do not discuss their great ideas with the poor folks in Operations and Technology. So sometimes they come out with really great offers that the tech and Ops people can't deliver. The service issues we experience is the manifestation of the lag before they catch up. Eventually they do - but by then something new is out and the cycle continues.

I have learned to live with it - what other choice do I have?

"I have learned to live with it - what other choice do I have?" This is so true - haha!  

I have also had my WTF moments with Telkom - but I have learned also that to scream and shout and question only results in me having a bad day.

It is what it is - just keep hoping you find someone that is WILLING to help Smiley Happy 

BV1
Established Member

Hi there
I have been using Telkom's Night Surfer data for many years - lately on LTE - and have never rebooted the modem to use the nights surfer bundles. From my experience, it switches dynamically.
I normally do all my app updates before I leave for work in the morning - in essence it is 'free data'
New Contributor

@shaunoThat sales person should be fired immediately. There is NO such thing it is done automatically. The system automatically switches over at 00:00 hrs. Thats it. You can monitor your usage by creating an account in Telkom mobile, I did this by monitoring the usage and it works.

I endeavor to assist in application of Computer technology where ever I can assist.
maz

I am having this same problem now and I was told by the chat advisor 'theres no way for it to make it switch over automatically, you have to switch it over manually by switching your data off and on again than reboot your modem.'

However there is no information about this on the website and I have requested T&C's where this is stated.  I have sent 3 emails asking for specific information regarding this and I have had no reply.  Is Telkom hiding something?  Why will they not respond on this matter?

Has this changed recently?  I've been with Telkom for a year and it has been working fine.  What has changed?  

From the data usage report, how do I know if the data is from night surfer or day?

Is there a Telkom representative in this forum that can clarify on this issue please
Moderator Moderator

Hi @Needanick, I can confirm that there is no need to restart your router at 00:00 in order to connect with a new IP address or session to use Night Surfer Data. The handover is handled dynamically, so all data used before 00:00 and after 07:00 uses and is deducted from your normal All Networks data. All data used between those times of 00:00 - 07:00 automatically get calculated as Night Surfer data and does not cost you.

output_Svao80.gif
About This Post
  • 15 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 12 Contributors