Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member

LTE SIM Activation

I've received my goods for my uncapped LTE order. How long does it take for the SIM to activate? Certainly not "up to" 24 hours as it's been almost 35 hours already for me. 

I am no longer in a position to call in and wait for over 30min to be connected to an agent, and the Facebook contact can also only request information from the relevant department.

It might seem unreasonable for me to expect SIM activations to be processed through on Christmas Eve, but I'm only in this position because a Telkom system error delayed the shipping of my router and SIM. I should have received this last week Friday already.

Now I feel like things just aren't getting done on their side and I'm going to have to spend the entire weekend and probably the first half of next week without Internet. The only reason I went for LTE was because Telkom was unable to provide me with a landline when I moved house. Who would've thought that a simple SIM activation would be such a process for them. 

Occasional Contributor

Re: LTE SIM Activation

[ Edited ]

@Maik they say "up to 24 hours" but usually its takes shorter, so you should certainly by now have been activated.

You may need to put the SIM card in a phone first. For some reason activation does not happen when SIM card is in the router.

If that doesnt work, you will have to make that dreaded call. The facebook and twitter channels on How to Get Help also work pretty well.

Established Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't consider that, but sadly it didn't work either. At least on the phone I get the "sim not provisioned" messaged, so I know it definitely hasn't been activated. The Facebook route works in terms of actually getting connected to somebody, but unfortunately all they seem to be able to do is send through info/queries to the relevant dept and hope to be able to provide some sort of feedback. I find that one needs to nag for feedback and updates though.

Occasional Contributor

@Maik guess you need to parepare yourself to make that call Smiley Frustrated

Hopefully they wont be too busy today so call will be answered quickly. Last time I called with a similar issue - after a sim swap - I was acttivated by the end of the call.

Established Member

Well it's not that simple. I'm sure that the mobile techincal dept would be able to help, but yesterday I was told that because I'm a new customer with a new contract, I need to go through the sales dept and they're closed today. All that the sales guys do though is confirm that your proof of delivery has been received by the dept that handles activations, and then they tell you that it will happen soon.

The funny thing when I spoke with the agent yesterday... I made a point of saying that on the RICA doc it says "up to 24 hours" (this was 24 hours later), and he proceeded to tell me that it's actually 24 to 48 hours (where I am.now). So I wonder IF I were to get hold of somebody now, would they magically extend that time again to 72 hours.

Occasional Contributor

@Maik the sales job was finished when they logged your order for delivery. Doesnt make sense that you need them to activate your SIM .... Smiley Frustrated I think the call centre was manned with newbees for the holiday!

Better luck today!

Established Member

Well I actually found out what the issue. I have a friend who's also been waiting for activation, and an agent he spoke with finally cracked and told him the truth which is apparently that a bunch of SIMs weren't RICA'd recently and now that department is closed. So apparently they're trying to escalate for somebody on standby to assist.

I have also received my device and Sim card last week wednesday (24 Feb 2016). my sim card is still not activated, i have called the 10210 number with zero success. i went as far as to pop into the Fourways mall brank, where i was advised by the most unhelpful person in the universe. her professional advice was for me to wait for 5days for the sim to be activated. surely this isnt the case...

Received Router and sim two days ago and still not activated which was ordered on our business account via the telkom call center. Called 10217, 081180 and several others and for whatever reason always get transefered from one department to another, ping pong between residential and business departments - with long and frustrating holds in between. Does anyone have a number for the person who can actually activate the sim card - not just request it to be actived? 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

With the Huawei B315s-936 LTE router, there is a strange problem I have encountered and resolved with a work-around which follows as such;

Once you have inserted your Telkom SIM card, changed your default password, and added a WLAN ssid / password (allows you to pick up your network on other Wifi devices), go to the Statistics page and under Mobile Network click Edit. According to your data plan, allocate the corresponding monthly cap (eg. 50GB) with a rollover period of the 1st of each month, and a threshold of 95% to 98%. Now press Apply.

*This method may need updating each month, by varying the Threshold by 1% and clicking apply again - it is not ideal, but I haven't yet been able to find a definite solution on automatically maintaining network access

This should create an "available data profile" which allows you immediate network access (if your account has been activated by Telkom). From there, you can use the Update menu to search for the latest firmware / software updates online and update them quickly. Once you have the latest update installed, you should be able to configure your network under Settings, Dial-up, Network Settings, Preferred Mode: 2300Mhz (4G Only). The provider should remain auto.

** This depends on coverage in your area, otherwise you can leave it on whatever you have available (3G & 4G Auto).

Should you still have any further issues, please check the community forum or call Telkom on 10210 for assistance.

About This Post
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 Contributors