Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

LTE low speeds

[ Edited ]

I have had my LTE for approximately one and a half months and have had problems since it was installed (I had to install it since the box just arrived and no after sales service form Telkom at all). I was told my area had great coverage and my speeds would be excellent. My average speed is 5Mb/s which is almost what I was getting with ADSL! At times (seldom) I get 20Mb/s but that does not last for long. I have lodged complaints since installation and STILL no one has come to sort out my problem. The router does not act like a router at all - my printer does not function properly (it used to on my old DLink router). My reception is always showing full bars on the router so that is not the problem. I wish Telkom would just come and look at my setup and tell me why I should pay alomost R1000 per month for this?

I tried to sontact the agent who was going house-to-house selling this amazing technology many times, but he will not answer his phone, nor his sms's. The tekom shop that I complained to promised me that they would resolve the issue two weeks ago, and still no answers.

Come on Telkom - do somethign about your service - it sucks!

If this is not resolved within the next few weeks I will cancel my two year contract and go back to ADSL, or change service provider. This has not been a good experience at all.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: LTE low speeds

@Francop, just us members here, no service agents. Please give more info on what you have tried and what errors you get. Do you have a booster antenna installed? How are you trying to connect your printer. Maybe someone here can assist

Highlighted

Hello LordLethal,

Thanks for the response. I have not fitted a booster antenna since I thought that with full signal I probably did not need one. In addition to this, when I went in to Telkom and asked them about the booster, they advised against it until one of their technicians had a look at my setup. Still waiting...

The printer is connected to the router with a network cable - I assume the router is in fact a router, so I should have no problem. I can print OK, but the printer loses its scan to computer setup each time I restart my PC (most annoying). I have downloaded and installed the letest driver from HP and that did not help. I have to maually reset the scan to computer form the PC, the it works until I reboot. It is an HP OfficeJet 6700 Premium.

However, the printer is the least of my worry - operating at 5Mb/sec (and sometimes even lower) is most annoying.

Firewall settings are all OK since I can print, and scan when it works.

Many times I get "This page cannot be displayed" on websites, and then I try a few more times and I get on ok.  I also get buffering of Utube videos sometimnes, which should not be happening with LTE. I would be quite happy to get a booster antenna if I knew that it would solve my problem.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Francop, have you got Uncapped LTE? In that case I think you got a free antenna. Are yor slow speeds at certain times of the day? Have heard some complain after 18:00 in which case it could be congestion on that tower. Report these to 081180.

About the printer, it sounds like all devices have a dynamic IP from the Router's DHCP. Each time you reboot, a device probably gets the scanner/printers IP. I suggest giving each device or at least the printer a static IP in the routers Network settings. That way it wont be given to another device.

Highlighted

SOunds like a good idea - I will try the static IP on the printer and post the results. As far as the LTE goes, I have 100GB, not uncapped and I only got the two external antennas that came with the router. I will make more enquiries regarding other antenna types for this router. Thanks for all the help. Right now I am running at a blistering 4.77 Mb/s. The slow speeds are not limited to evening times.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Francop seen some high gane antennas advertised on Takealot. Not sure what type you would need though

http://www.takealot.com/all/?qsearch=poynting&_sb=1&_dt=all&_r=1

Highlighted

Thanks LordLethal. I wil investigate. My record now stands at 1.57Mb/Sec in the evening at 20H46, and 30.37Mb/sec at 07H50. 

About This Post
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 Contributors