Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New LTE Uncapped AUP

So,

I just got this SMS on both my Uncapped LTE B315's

"Dear Telkom LTE customer, our LTE uncapped services are governed by an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). Telkom reserves the right to apply restrictions if a customer's behaviour is deemed to affect the experience of other LTE users on the network. Please note that Telkom will start to implement the AUP from September 2016. Your current usage puts you at risk to be impacted by the policy, which may lead to throttling. Go to http://telkom.site/AUP to view the AUP. T&Cs apply. Telkom Team. "

But cannot find the NEW AUP anywhere on that site does anyone have the exact details of the change? and if they are major can i terminate my contract without peneatlies if its a fundemetnal change of the product?

Thanks!

Contributor

Re: New LTE Uncapped AUP

@xwillsotakux, so you are 1 of the guys bring the LTE speeds to a standstill? Smiley Wink

they are there, and it is not new. just dont think they have been implemented yet.

Check SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless-T&Cs  - http://www.telkom.co.za/about_us/download/SmartBroadbandUncappedT&Cs.pdf

Thanks for the response, that would be odd since the 50GP P2P usage is in affect already and that is part of the AuP? got the sms on 60GB on 1st modem and 48GB on 2nd but are seeing reports on myadsl of users at 39GB getting the sms too...

I've also received this. Thought we'd be well within the policy since we don't use torrents. It's unclear to me whether the AUP only applies to torrents or other peer to peer apps as well?

Contributor

@xwillsotakux I hate any uncapped product but the lte uncapped chaged my mind. 3 months straight I have used +-500 gigs and still get 72meg speeds IMG-20160816-WA0002.jpgIMG-20160816-WA0001.jpg

I'm extremely angry and are planning to take this further after the holidays, as clearly, they're in breach.

I phoned as usual to complain about my speed Friday morning 23 Dec 2016.  The 2nd person explained to me that I reached my 50gig cap and that my LTE is now being throttled to 2Mb/s.

I asked her to explain why and when did I reach this cap and she said it’s impossible for Telkom to tell me as it automatically happens when I reach the value and then got cut off.

I phoned again and this person told me that I reached it on the 21st Dec and that according to the system I’m on 4Mb/s LTE speed and have been on it since I joined.  Tried to explain, but you know how it goes…

I fully support a reasonable AUP, but how does my behavior put strain on the system?

Here’s the facts:

• I migrated from 4Mb/s ADSL line to Smartbroadband Uncap @ R799 in June this year, bought it at the Telkom shop and received my router and aerial, which they sent out someone to install.
  • Was running on speeds ave of 15Mb/s with a spike now and then to max 30Mb/s, and logged complaints when it ran below 5Mb/s
  • When logging calls, no one has ever told me that I reached a “soft” cap and are now being throttled till Friday or the shocking revelation that I’m on a 4Mb/s line.
  • I used P2P on 3 occasions since June and the file size was no more than 6gig and never UseNet servers.
  • I have six people that uses my Wi-Fi on a daily basis, my wife, 4 kids after school and me when I get home after work. We watch YouTube, movie streaming, Xbox, WhatsApp and other HTML websites

Here’s an extract of the T&C I received when I signed the contract:

“6. The Smartbroadband Uncapped Wireless service shall be offered at full speeds (no time limit applies) for all traffic types except bandwidth intensive protocols or applications which shall be at full speed between 12am – 6pm if within the 50GB cap. Once a subscriber reaches the 50GB cap the bandwidth intensive protocols or applications shall be throttled to 128kbps speed for the rest of the month. Full Speeds shall resume at the beginning of the next calendar month

7. The Smartbroadband Uncapped Wireless service will offer uncapped data for all traffic types except bandwidth intensive protocols or applications which shall be capped at 50GB

8. Bandwidth intensive protocols or applications are defined as Bit torrent traffic downloaded via Peer to Peer and news servers Protocols ( NNTP)

9. Bandwidth intensive protocols and applications shall also be throttled across the network to 128kbps during peak network periods of between 6pm - 12am to manage the networks quality of experience and quality of service for all users

SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless services operate on shared radio resources and Telkom reserves the right to apply restrictions on an uncapped account if a customer’s behaviour is determined to be affecting the user experience of other customers on Telkom’s mobile broadband network. Such restrictions include but are not limited to throttling a customer’s throughput speeds to an appropriate proportion of the actual port speed and / or shaping a customer’s bandwidth to limit the use of bandwidth intensive protocols and applications”

About This Post
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 Contributors