Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager
Community Manager

SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless (Uncapped LTE: R599)

[ Edited ]

LTE-Uncapped.JPG

Check out all the details about Telkom's Uncapped LTE - click here

A first in South Africa with Telkom.

The sky is the limit with Uncapped Wireless Broadband.

lte1.JPG

lte2.JPG

It's real:

No really, it's Uncapped Wireless Broadband.

But here are a few things you need to know:

Uncapped wireless broadband is really uncapped for almost all applications and uses. These include email, browsing, streaming traffic like video, music, YouTube, AppleTV, Box Office, Netflix, VPN, VOIP, real time online gaming, backups and gaming downloads.

For these you will never be capped and throttled. This means consumers will enjoy the full benefit of a truly unlimited experience with Telkom's LTE Uncapped service. Telkom's 50GB fair usage policy cap ONLY applies to Bit Torrent traffic via peer to peer and news servers protocols (NNTP).

Customers will enjoy full speeds on the 50GB FUP bundle between 12am – 6pm and will only be throttled on the speeds between 6pm – 12am which is Telkom's peak period on the network. Full connection speeds will be maintained during peak periods for general browsing, online gaming and video streaming and the customer experience will not be affected.

The speed throttling of peer-to-peer traffic has been effected to ensure that Telkom maintains a good user experience for all users on the base station and that Telkom’s network performance during peak network periods is not compromised. A 10GB FUP applies to the uncapped Wi-Fi bundle and subscribers will be required to link a secondary mobile device to their account via their My Telkom Mobile account as the Wi-Fi bundle can only be consumed at Telkom mobile’s public Wi-Fi hotspots. Acceptable Use Policy applies to abuse of service.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

About the Service:

What benefits do I receive on the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service offer?

SmartBroadband

Uncapped Wireless
Monthly Data Device Contract Duration Network Speed price
SmartBroadband

Uncapped Wireless 1

Reserved for the first

50 (#1 - #50)
  • Unlimited Data
  • P2P (Peer-to-peer) bundle with 50GB FUP cap
  • *Wi-Fi bundle with 10GB FUP cap
  • Huawei LTE Wi-Fi Router
  • Poynting External Panel Antenna
24 Months Up to 90Mbps

downlink speed

and up to 25Mbps

uplink speed
R599
SmartBroadband

Uncapped Wireless 2

Reserved for the next

50 (#51 -#100)
  • Unlimited Data
24 Months Up to 90Mbps

downlink speed

and up to 25Mbps

uplink speed
R699
SmartBroadband

Uncapped Wireless 3

Reserved for the next

50 (#101 – #150
  • Unlimited Data
24 Months Up to 90Mbps

downlink speed

and up to 25Mbps

uplink speed
R799

*Subscribers will have to link a secondary mobile device to their account via Telkom Mobile's Self-service portal to consume the Wi-Fi bundle which can only be consumed at a Telkom Mobile public Wi-Fi hotspot.

What is SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless?

The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service is a high speed wireless broadband service offering uncapped data. Subscribers will be required to consume the service within the location of the physical address that was supplied during the application process. Acceptable Use Policy will apply.

What Broadband Technology supports the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service?

The supporting Technology is LTE.

What is LTE?

LTE stands for Long Term Evolution (LTE) which is a high-speed wireless broadband technology. LTE is the latest generation of mobile technology and is a step up from 3G technology offering faster network downlink and uplink speeds. You can expect up to 90Mbps download speed and up to 25Mbps upload speed on Telkom’s LTE network. That means enhanced gaming, video streaming and music and app downloads.

Will the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service speed be capped?

The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service shall be offered at full speeds (no time limit applies) for all traffic types except bandwidth intensive protocols or applications which shall be at full speed between 12am – 6pm if within the 50GB cap. Once a subscriber reaches the 50GB cap the bandwidth intensive protocols or applications shall be throttled to 128kbps speed for the rest of the month. Full speeds shall resume at the beginning of the next calendar month. Bandwidth intensive protocols or applications are defined as Bit torrent traffic downloaded via Peer to Peer and news servers Protocols (NNTP).

Will FUP be applied to the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service?

The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service will offer uncapped data for all traffic types except bandwidth intensive protocols or applications which shall be capped at 50GB. Acceptable use policy will also apply where Telkom deems a subscriber to be abusing the service.

What is the Acceptable Use Policy applicable to this service?

a) Telkom reserves the right to apply restrictions on an uncapped account if a customer’s behaviour is determined to be affecting the user experience of other customers on Telkom’s mobile broadband network. Such restrictions include but are not limited to throttling a customer’s throughput speeds to an appropriate proportion of the actual port speed and / or shaping a customer’s bandwidth to limit the use of bandwidth intensive protocols and applications.

b) Examples of customer behaviour which compromise Telkom’s network performance include, for example, causing network congestion, include running excessive concurrent internet sessions or accessing excessive bandwidth intensive protocols such as Peer to Peer and news servers protocols (NNTP). In the event of such behaviours, Telkom reserves the right to terminate the account of a SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless customer whose usage is continuously affecting Telkom’s network performance.

c) In order to assist a customer to be made aware of when his or her behaviour is compromising Telkom’s mobile broadband network performance, Telkom will provide to the customer such information as is practically available. Once usage is indicated as being dangerously high, Telkom reserves the right to suspend the relevant customer’s usage within 24 (twenty four) hours of usage having reached such levels. Customers who are restricted by Telkom in the aforementioned manner in a calendar month will be returned to full service profile at the beginning of the next month.

d) The above controls will be implemented by Telkom in addition to those set out elsewhere in this AUP regarding unlawful behaviour.

About the promotion:

How long will the promotion run for?

The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless phase 3 promotion will be valid from the 1st of December 2015 to the 30th of June 2016 with phase 3 focusing on select LTE base stations across 520 sites in the Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, Kwa-Zulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and Western Cape.

Is the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless offer available on prepaid as well?

No, it is only available on post-paid contract.

What will the contract duration period offered on the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service be?

The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless plans shall be offered on a 24 Month contract period only.

Can I link a MultiSIM or Data MultiSIM to the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service?

No, MultiSIM and Data MultiSIM will not be allowed on the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless plan.

Which router do I get with the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service?

Subscribers will get a SIM card, a Huawei LTE Wi-Fi router and a Poynting external antenna that will be installed for them by Telkom contractors.

How many wireless devices can I connect to my LTE modem?

You can connect up to 32 devices via Wi-Fi and up to four devices using the LAN cables. Note that the number of devices that you connect simultaneously could impact on your internet experience. The type of devices you can connect include smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, notebooks, PCs, security cameras and gaming consoles.

Will the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless offer be available across Telkom’s entire Mobile network?

No, the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service will only be available in targeted LTE areas.

I live in an area covered by Telkom’s LTE-Advanced network. Will I qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless offer?

No, only select LTE areas are in scope for this promotion.

Which areas will be earmarked for SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless offering?

Phase 3 of the promotion is launching within targeted areas across 520 sites in the Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, Kwa-Zulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and Western Cape. The online portal will provide the LTE areas selected for this offer.

From which channels can a customer purchase the offer?

The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless offer is now available through the traditional Telkom owned stores and the Direct Sales Force 3rd Party channels; however subscribers will only be able to sign-up for the R699 SmartBroadband Uncapped offer through these channels. Subscribers that wish to sign-up for the R599 SmartBroadband Uncapped offer will only be able to apply for the service through Telkom’s online channel via the online portal. Customers that walk into the Telkom Stores will be able to submit an application online via the PC’s available in-store.

Who will be eligible to apply for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless during the promotion period?

Existing Telkom Consumer / Mobile / Business customers, new retail customers and new business customers are eligible to apply for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless during the promotion period.

Can existing Telkom customers apply for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service?

Yes, existing Telkom Consumer / Mobile / Business customers may apply for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service. Existing SmartHome, SmartOffice and Fixed Line customers will not be able to migrate their current services to the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service and will be required to apply for the service as a new service. Existing LTE B593 subscribers that wish to migrate to the SmartBroadband Uncapped service can only do so by submitting their applications via the online channel only.

How will the promotion be executed?

Telkom has identified select LTE base stations across the country where SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless Service will be made available to Consumer, Mobile and Business customers. The promotion will be managed in a phased approach with phase 3 promotion targeting select LTE base stations in areas across 520 sites in the Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, Kwa-Zulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and Western Cape. Phase 3 of the promotion will be valid from the 1st of December 2015 to the 30th of June 2016 and will be executed through Telkom’s online channel, Telkom Owned Stores and Direct Sales Force 3rd Party channel. Subscribers will have the opportunity to apply for the service via an online application submission form on the online portal if they wish to apply for the R599 SmartBroadband Uncapped offer. Subscribers applying through Telkom owned stores and the Direct Sales Force 3rd Party channels will only be able to sign-up for the R699 SmartBroadband Uncapped offer through these channels. There will be 150 spaces available per base station which will be available. The first 50 successful applicants received per base station will qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service priced at R599, the next 50 successful applicants will qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service priced at R699 and the next 50 successful applicants will qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service priced at R799.

What will be the eligibility criteria applied in the promotion for one to qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped service?

There will be a maximum of 150 spots available per base station. The pricing will be on a first come first served basis via an online process with 3 different price points: R599, R699 and R799. Eligibility to either of the price points will be based on applications received on the online promotion portal on a first come basis during the online process. The first 50 successful applicants per base station will qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service at R599, the next 50 successful applicants will qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service at R699 price and the next 50 successful applicants will qualify for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service at R799. Standard credit vetting criteria will apply.

How can I submit an application for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service during the promotion period?

There will be an application form available on the online promotion portal for customers to capture their information and submit their application for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Service. Alternatively subscribers can apply for the service at a Telkom Owned Stores and through the Direct Sales Force 3rd Party channel.

How will I know if my area is eligible for the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service?

There will be an LTE online coverage map available on the online portal which shall only display coverage for the targeted launch areas and base stations, which can be found on Telkom's website at the following link: http://www.telkom.co.za/today/unlimited-broadband

What happens after submitting my application online?

Once a customer submits an application they will receive an email notification confirming whether their application was successful or not. However subscribers that apply through the Telkom owned store will be able to walk out of the store with the service.

How long will it take for me to receive my order?

Successful online applications and applications received via the Direct Sales Force 3rd Party channel will receive a call from a sales agent who will verify their details and confirm how long it will take to process the order and the estimated ETA for the delivery of the service to the customer.

Where can I collect my order from?

All processed orders received through the online channel and the Direct Sales Force 3rd Party channel will be shipped to customers via courier delivery. However subscribers that apply through the Telkom owned store will be able to walk out of the store with the service.

My area is currently not eligible. Who can I contact to query on when my area will get the service?

An Interest register form will be available on the coverage map for customers that are not eligible for the service to register an interest

About Your Coverage:

Will 3G failover be supported?

Telkom Mobile 3G failover shall only be supported as a failover measure in instances where the LTE network is down and it must be stressed that the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless service is a fixed wireless service which must be used in a fixed location and not for mobility. The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless subscriber shall not be able to roam on MTN’s 3G network.

Can the service be used at any location?

The SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless plan is a fixed wireless broadband service; subscribers will be required to consume the service within the fixed location of the physical address that was supplied during the application process.

How can I contact the antenna installer for an appointment to install my external antenna?

Telkom has you covered. Once you receive your order and the SIM card is activated a trigger will be sent to the installer who will contact you and set up an appointment to install your external antenna. Your current service will only be disconnected once your antenna has been installed, if you are an existing LTE customer that opts to migrate to the SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless Service.

Is there an installation fee payable for the installation of the external antenna?

No, there will be no installation fees payable for the external antenna installation.

Who do I call if I have a technical query or coverage related problems?

Subscribers can call 081 180 and they shall be routed to the data call centre for support.

For progress on home delivery, customers can call 10210.

Does Rica apply?

Rica compliance rules shall apply.

What happens if I relocate?

This service is provided as a fixed wireless broadband service and if a customer relocates, Telkom cannot guarantee network coverage and reliability.

Re: SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless (Uncapped LTE: R599)

REF ticket #130316-121134 LTE R599
I applied on Sunday 13 March 2016 = Still Waiting

1. Hours on 10210 only to be told I must go to Telkom shop to apply
2. Two days in the Que at Telkom shop only to be told I can apply - only online
Festival Mall also gave me email address if no response comes..

3. Applied - days no feedback

4. Call Center phoned never phoned back to finish app
Asavela Ngxekexe - ngxekea@telkom.co.za

5. Days later team leader phones sets everything up
Audricia Rampersad - jeromen@za.aegisglobal.com

6. Two weeks later still waiting for a response from credit vetting

7. Call center phones again, tell me my profile/setup = nothing on file
She told me the team leader cant process the order only a sales person.
She puts me on hold for 10min, cuts me off. Never phones back

After countless hours days weeks of emails and phone calls - I don't know if I am going to get this service??!

NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO HELP ME OR DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING

Every time I speak to someone they don't have prev rec of calls.
It's not like I want the service for free I will be paying for it.

Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on ???!!???!!!

Established Member

Carlswald Midrand: GOt new LTE-A router. Now red light flashing (disconnected) What can i do??  I have got a Case Number from Telkom, but based on what I see on this forum dont hold out much hope of getting service.  What is the signal like in Carlswald and why (when it was working) does it slow down so badly from 4pm and on weekends.?! Even to a 2G signal!  NOT what I paid for!! 

Even if you are accepted you might have to wait months to even get it. Look for other options, a 2 year contract won't be worth it.

[ Edited ]

I am currently Paying R 699 for a 50GB LTE Limited Service, which is currently facing issues with international speeds,

Read this article for my brief report

https://community.telkom.co.za/t5/LTE/Telkom-LTE-Is-not-what-it-s-made-out-to-be-currently/m-p/3778#...

This is so unfair, we going back to the old days, where people are treated differently based on their location.

Hi I applied and qualified and completed my application for this Uncapped LTE R599 service. I was informed that delivery will be in the next 5 to 7 working days. I'm trying to get a referance number for my application so that I can follow up on delivery but can not get any info from Telkom, they keep on transfering me to someone else and leave messages for the correct department to contact me but so far not one single Telkom person phoned me. I went into the store twice and still no info. I'm starting to think this is crap and that I won't be getting my order. I cancelled my home line and adsl and now I will be sitting with no data at the end of the month. I will really appreciate it if someone from Telkom can contact me in connection to delivery. I also received my approved bid email and was phoned but no delivery or any contact with Telkom.

Frequent Contributor

Hi @AW - this is not a service channel, and I think i should also point out that this community should not be used as an advertising space.  The length of this advert that talks about a service where it is clear that Telkom neither supports it properly or cares about the feedback it is getting makes me worried about the intentions behind the community.  Unfortunately there is no button on this community to vote down content, because if there was I am afraid you would receive a fair amount of down votes on this one.  Please reconsider not to paste these adverts if there is no concommittant responses to real issues being raised by community members on LTE and it's service...

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @j0766 for keeping us on our toes. The aim of this one was due to the large amounts of queries we get relating to this product. SO this post contains a lot of FAQ related info for our members to read without directing them back to the main Website. We are also dealing with as many queries behind the scenes.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks @AW - I think we might just need some insight into the behind the scenes work on the queries.  Without insight the community can't assist.

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Established Member

This happened to me.  I had to go into a Telkom store to sign up and now paying R699 instead of the R599 which I would have paid if my online application was prosessed as promised.  If you want to walk out with your device there and then, go a store but be prepared to pay the extra R100 pm.  The online application process is a waste of time

About This Post