Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Telkom LTE Is not what it's made out to be currently

Hi Telkom Community,

Would you be able to help me?

We have disconnected our ADSL Line, due to really poor service, so we moved to LTE

The LTE was working great for a month, +-10mbps local and international traffic, no problem! until 3 days ago....

The local traffic stayed the same, and the international traffic took a down route.

I am now getting on average ... +- 10mbps downstream of South African speed,

Together with +- 0.5 mbps downstream of International traffic compared to what I was getting for a month.. +-10mbps

Is there a problem with the South African internet in the bigger picture?

Or is it just the local tower that is experiencing an overload?

The following tests were taken at 4:00pm and are subject to 'Peak' Hour conditions, which did not apply 3 days ago Smiley Sad

I have logged a complaint incase someone from Telkom Mobile Can help me, 188 467 78

international.PNGlocal.PNG

Re: Telkom LTE Is not what it's made out to be currently

So here's today's speed test results, still no improvement, this was taken at 9:00 am and the international server was Indonesia

local.PNGint.PNG

Established Member

DaneJ I think from a technical perspective one must start to see what your location is, then one can ask the guys at TM to check the specific towers adjacent to you what the utilisation is. Given that, the issue can be investigated. I'm hesitant to provide my email address. Can you provide yours perhaps, then I can contact you to discuss.

Hi Bothaa7

I have sent you a private message with my details, the messaging service on this website didn't want to allow me to send a picture of the location, so I sent you my details, so if you can email me, I will respond with the location map.

Thank you for your assistance.

Here are some logs of speed tests I was getting before I had issues with the connection.

All were during peak hour

Screenshot_2016-04-14-15-26-45.pngScreenshot_2016-04-14-15-35-47.pngScreenshot_2016-04-14-15-35-59.png

WJS

Hi Danej

I am in Sunward Park, Boksburg. Our household also cancelled our ADSL nearly 2 years ago now due to very poor service and pathetic slow speed during the day especially between 8am and about 10,11pm in the evenings.  I subsequently signed up for a 3 yr LTE 10GB/10GB(night)  package.  Till about  June this year(2016) , I was very happy wih the speed being on ave above 20mbps downstream and anything between  3mbps and  6mbps upstream.  One afternoon somewhere early now in July 2016,  internet access became extremely slow and was like that for about a day ot two bebore I decided to turn off/on my  Huawei B593s-601 LTE router. After this the downstream speed was back to being very quick, ie > 20mbps, sometimes even peaking at over 30mbps,  but the upstream is absolutely crawling.

I used speedtest dot net on different days and checked again today.  Over the last 3 weeks, the upstream would ave between 0.05 mbps

and about 0.5mbps.  :-(     It is so bad that it takes about 2 minutes to attach a 90kb file to a Gmail email.  If I need to attach mutiple documents, none very big (all < 400kb each), Gmail would at times report a timeout message. Also working in Remote Desktop to client servers is now a pain with constant disconnection messages.

For me this scenario is painful,  and out out desperation I  took out the Telkom sim and took a Vodacom 3Gcontract  sim and put it in the router. With this I constantly get  about  4 to 6mbps  downstream speed and  more or less the same upstream speed.  :-))

My question is this:  has Telkom now with their" unlimited cap" LTE deals tuned/tweaked/configured their LTE towers  for max downstream speeds (which is great for general WWW browsing and file downloading and looks good on a speed test), but seriously throttled/restricted upstream traffic ie email attachments, uploads to cloud storage (ie dropbox, Google drive, MS onedrive etc) ?

Anybody experiencing this same scenario with their Telkom LTE  service in the Boksburg, Sunward Park area or even other areas

for that matter?

Moderator Moderator

Hi @Danej. with the refarming of our 1800Mhz frequency, we have more customers on LTE. We have picked up some congestion and are busy working on it. See this article - http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadband/173644-telkom-lte-network-improvements-within-a-week.html

output_Svao80.gif

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

@NC Thank you for the reply, its good to know that telkom mobile take into consideration their customers, unlike telkom adsl, however...

The same problem I was experiencing in April, (Above posts) is happening again, except the problem makes no sense, for the past three weeks I have been getting an average of 0.5 mbps download and 6 mbps upload regardless of peak hours, great, I love the upload speed, but I do very limited uploads? Does it mean that yet again there is a conjestion problem? @bothaa7

To make it worse, telkom decide to set a up a gazzebo within 500 meters of my place recruiting new LTE members, I tried to tell them to go home because they were creating traffic, but they love money Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I logged a complaint on telkom mobiles 180 number and the reference number is: 197 25 332 (They were meant to call me on Friday, but that never happened....)

The attached speed test are from my LTE Router and my mobile phone which is on telkom mobile & is on the 4G network.

Capture.PNGScreenshot_2016-10-15-21-04-03.png

Well, here's another speed test I did today, no improvement just a degradation of the upload speed.

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 8.56.04 PM.png

Highlighted

Wow, guess what, 4 weeks now, still no improvement...

Capture.PNG

About This Post
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 Contributors