Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Telkom WiFi

Good Evening

I would like to connect my WiFi device to enjoy my free WiFi bundles

Frequent Contributor

Re: Telkom WiFi

@dbmabote - is there a question in there somewhere?  I would also love to connect my wifi device to get free wifi.  Are you having difficulty doing this?  If you have a question try to frame it nicely giving us plenty of info so that we can try to help you?

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)

@j0766 thanks for your reply,the question here is how do i use my WiFi dongle to enjoy

Bonus Wi-Fi Data Unlimited Speed
WLAN: 10240 MB remaining
Expires on Tue Apr 26 2016

Frequent Contributor

@dbmabote - ah okay.  That makes more sense now.  To use your free wifi you need to access a Telkom Wifi hotspot.  Look here for where to find them close to you.  https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/wifi/

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)

@j0766 I’m sure u understand my question!, I need to make my Wi-Fi dongle a Telkom hot spot.
I’m not sure if the quote below this is meant for me?

At what moment did I say the that the service is useless?

Frequent Contributor

@dbmabote - you are seriously confusing me.  Are you saying that I didn't understand your question?  Do you want to use free wifi from Telkom hotspots?  Or did you think that you could use the free wifi and turn your dongle into a hot spot for others to use for free?  These are very different things that you are throwing together.

BTW the quote is part of my signature and appears on all my posts, not aimed at you or anyone - mostly aimed at myself.  Often I find that although things don't do what I expected they turn out to be pretty useful.

Let me see if I can explain what you have at the moment.  I guess that you have a Telkom dongle that connects you to the internet.  This is a USB device which means you plug it into either a device like a laptop with a USB port or into the back of a router to share the wifi with more devices.  If you only plugged it into a laptop only the laptop can use it, unless the laptop has an additional radio and you can bridge the two connections in such a way that you can share the connection.  A much easier way would be to use a router with the dongle connected in there and all your other devices connecting to the router, it means that you don't need the laptop plugged in and bridged for you to share the internet connection.  Are we all clear on that?

The second point which was the one I thought you were asking about, relates to the fact that together with the monthly data cap that you get on your dongle when using it in any coverage area, you also get a free Telkom wifi bundle.  This free wifi can be consumed at locations where Telkom has hotspots available, generally this might be in a shopping centre or restaurant or something like that.  So while you are sitting down having a breakfast you can connect your laptop or smartphone without even plugging in your dongle.  You pick the Telkom wifi hotspot, and enter your credentials and you are surfing on the internet now consuming your free wifi bundle.  Does that make sense?  Let me know if you have any more questions ...

@dbmabote

you are only allowed to use that 10GB at Telkom mobile hotspots. open this link http://www.telkom.co.za/coverage/ and click on Wi-fi Hotspots to see which ones are the nearest.  You must have your device with a Telkom Mobile sim card in order this to work.  Just select Telkom from the list of the available wireless networks, connect and follow instructions.

@dbmabote

your dongle allows you to connect it to your laptop for example and gives that particular device internet access.

If you want a hotspot, then you are going to need a Wifi Router, setup the name of your network (SSID) and password to protect your network and data usage. then all your devices will connect to that particular hotspot. Smiley Happy

Good Day

So Ive read all your replies to these questions and Im not quite sure I understand fully. 

I have a wifi router, and I have Bonus Wifi Data. 

-Do I have to go to a wifi hotspot to use it, evan though I have Wifi Router?

Contributor

@lusanda, thats correct yes. It is a value added extra. I use the Wifi sometimes when Im at Burger King rather than my data allowance.

About This Post
  • 20 replies
  • 40 kudos
  • 13 Contributors