Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Telkom WiFi

WiFi.JPG

http://www.telkom.co.za/today/shop/wifi/

1. What is the current Wi-Fi authentication process for Telkom mobile and non-Telkom subscribers?
  • Telkom Mobile subscribers are required to connect to 1 Telkom Connect network once they are within a Telkom Mobile Hotspot to use the service
  • Telkom mobile subscribers are required to setup their device to connect via EAP-SIM authentication if the device supports EAP-SIM to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi
  • Or add a secondary device via MAC address on Telkom’s Self-service portal to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi using MAC authentication
  • Non-Telkom subscribers were required to send an SMS to 32676 to receive a PIN code that they are required to redeem on the Wi-Fi portal to access the 30 minutes of free Wi-Fi
  • Once connected to the Wi-Fi network Telkom Mobile subscribers will be able to connect to the internet immediately

1. What has changed with the latest Wi-Fi enhancements launched?

a) Telkom mobile Contract and Pre-paid subscribers will be required to set-up their device to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi.

1. EAP-PEAP authentication:
  • If the device does not support EAP-SIM authentication or is a non-SIM based device such as laptops and WI-FI tablets.
  • to link a second device to the Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle 

1. EAP-SIM authentication
  • if the device supports EAP-SIM authentication or is a SIM based device
  1. MAC authentication
  • It has been replaced by EAP-PEAP registration (Username and password registration) and Telkom mobile Subscribers will be able to use EAP-PEAP registration (Username and password registration) to connect two devices to the unlimited WI-FI VAS bundle.
  1. Telkom mobile subscribers are then required to connect to “1 Telkom Connect” network to use the Wi-Fi service

b) Non-Telkom subscribers, Telkom fixed and non-qualifying Telkom mobile pre-paid and hybrid subscribers will be required to register their device to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi via:

1. EAP-PEAP registration (Username and password registration) on Telkom’s Wi-Fi portal page which can be found on the following link https://Wi-Fi.telkom.co.za/umbrella/Wi-Fi/myWi-Fi

2. Subscribers are then required to connect to “1 Telkom Guest” network to use the Wi-Fi service

3. How do Telkom mobile subscriber’s set-up their primary device to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?

1. Via EAP-PEAP Authentication 

Telkom mobile Contract and Pre-paid subscribers will be required to set-up their device to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi via EAP-PEAP authentication:

• If the device does not support EAP-SIM authentication.
  • Or is not a SIM based device such as laptops or Wi-Fi tablets.
  • Or to link a second device to the Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS

EAP-PEAP authentication involves the registration of a Username and Password that will be used in the once-off setup and authentication of devices.

NB: EAP-PEAP authentication will not be applicable for primary IOS device as IOS devices get the EAP-SIM certificate automatically installed with carrier settings during the initial setup of Apple devices. EAP-PEAP authentication will only be required for secondary IOS device setup that is required to link a second device to the unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle.

STEP 1: User Name and Password Registration

• Please register and / or login in to the My Telkom self-service portal on http://www.telkom.co.za
  • Once logged in to your account select Manage Subscription
  • On the manage subscription page select the number to be added from the drop down list or enter MSISDN Number: 081XXXXXXX
  • Under existing services package view the status of the selected mobile number and ensure It is active
  • Click Fetch
  • When the data is returned, go to Set Wi-Fi Password
  • Register Username (Cell phone number) and password to use for Wi-Fi once-off registration
  • Enter your password, Password must be between 8 and 14 characters, must include 1 capital letter and one number
  • Enter the Confirmed Password
  • Click on Set Password, once done the message Successful reset of password will display

STEP 2: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Device Setup

• Connect to  “1 Telkom Connect” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
  • Change EAP method to use EAP-PEAP or PEAP on your device under device setting section
  • In the identity field, enter the username and password supplied during registration in step 1 above
  • Append @ telkommobile.net to the username, format to be used is 081XXXXXX@telkommobile.net
  • Enter the password supplied during registration
  • Click connect

2.       Via EAP-SIM Authentication

EAP-SIM authentication is applicable for devices that are SIM based as the validation or authentication to Telkom’s Wi-Fi network will be done based on the subscribers SIM information. NB: IOS devices get the EAP-SIM certificate automatically installed with carrier settings during the initial setup of Apple devices and will no longer be required to manually setup their devices. The following steps apply for EAP-SIM registration on device.

How to setup your Device for EAP-SIM registration at a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Telkom Mobile subscribers will need to apply the following EAP-SIM settings for the different operating systems to connect to the Telkom’s Wi-Fi service:

Telkom Subscribers:

• Go to device settings
  • Turn on Wi-Fi
  • Search for nearby Wi-Fi networks
  • Connect to “1 Telkom Connect” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
  • Change EAP method to use EAP-SIM or SIM on your device and click connect
  • Click connect
  • You will now be seamlessly connected to any of Telkom’s Wi-Fi Hotspot

1. How do I connect using an Android based device
  • Go to your settings, turn on your Wi-Fi, and search for nearby Wi-Fi networks.
  • Connect to the wireless network: 1 Telkom Connect.
  • Change EAP method to use EAP-SIM or SIM on your device under device setting section Click on Connect
  • You will in future be seamlessly connected to Telkom’s Wi-Fi when your Wi-Fi is switched on.
  1. How do I connect using an IOS based device
    • IOS devices get the EAP-SIM certificate automatically installed with carrier settings during the initial setup of Apple devices and will no longer be required to manually setup their devices.
    • Customers need to ensure that their Wi-Fi is switched on to connect to 1 Telkom Connect Network at a Telkom Wi-Fi hotspot

1. How do I connect using a BlackBerry based device
  • Go to your network settings, turn on your Wi-Fi, and search for nearby Wi-Fi networks.
  • Connect to the wireless network: 1 Telkom Connect.
  • Change the authentication method of the enterprise sub-type to use EAP-SIM on your device, then save and connect.
  • You will in future be seamlessly connected to Telkom’s Wi-Fi when your Wi-Fi is switched on

1. Will Telkom mobile Subscribers be able to use MAC address authentication to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi?

No, MAC authentication has been replaced by EAP-PEAP authentication. Telkom mobile Subscribers will be able to use EAP-PEAP authentication to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi or connect two devices to the unlimited WI-FI VAS bundle.

1. Can I use a second device to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi other than my registered primary device?

Yes, Telkom understands that you may need to use a different device other than the registered primary device to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi service. Therefore, Telkom allows you to link a second device (e.g. a laptop or tablet) to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi service through EAP-PEAP authentication.

1. How do Telkom mobile subscriber’s set-up their second device in-order to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?

NB: Please note that MAC Authentication for the addition of a second device was discontinued and contract and pre-paid customers that need to link a second device to their unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle will need to do so via EAP-PEAP authentication. The below process will apply when linking a second device to the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle:

STEP 1: EAP-PEP User Name and Password Registration – For Second Device

In instances where a Telkom mobile customer wishes to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi network with another device using EAP-PEAP authentication, the customer shall be required to register (once-off) on Telkom’s self-service portal and associate the Telkom subscription with his current profile. 

• Please register and / or login in to the My Telkom self-service portal on http://www.telkom.co.za
  • Once logged in link your account to your profile, if not already associated. (Under Personal Accounts select “Link Personal Accounts”)
  • Under Personal Accounts select Manage Subscription
  • Select  the appropriate mobile number and click on fetch
  • Scroll down to the “Set Wi-Fi Password” section
  • Enter your password
  • Enter the Confirm Password
  • Click on Set Password

STEP 2: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Authentication - Secondary Device Setup

• Change EAP method to use EAP-PEAP or PEAP on your device under device setting section
  • In the identity field, enter the username and password supplied during registration in step 1
  • Append @ telkommobile.net to the username, format to be used is 081XXXXXX@telkommobile.net
  • Click connect

NB: EAP-PEAP authentication will only be required for secondary IOS device setup that is required to link a second device to the unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle. The below process will apply when linking a second IOS device to the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle:

STEP 3: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Authentication - Second Device Setup For IOS Devices

• Delete the EAP-SIM certificate on the IOS device
  • Download the EAP-PEAP certificate for IOS devices on the following link: http://www.telkom.co.za/today/help/downloads/file/ios-Wi-Fi-configuration-file/
  • Click install on the next two window’s displayed
  • Please follow the steps highlighted in step 1 above to register and / or login in to the My Telkom self-service portal on http://www.telkom.co.za and register a Username and password
  • In the identity field, enter the username and password supplied during registration in step 1

1. I have subscribed to a Telkom Mobile offer but did not qualify for the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle, what other options are available?

Telkom has on offer Wi-Fi bundles that are available for purchase:

• Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 30 Minutes for R15
  • Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 60 Minutes for R25

1. Where can I get my Wi-Fi bundle?

For Telkom customers Wi-Fi bundles will be available to purchase in the following channels:

• via Telkom Stores and external dealer channels in the form of pin-less/pin-based Wi-Fi vouchers
  • via the USSD menu by dialling *180#
  • via My Telkom account on the Self-service portal at  http://www.telkommobile.co.za
  • via Telkom’s Apps – IOS and Android...

1. How does a Telkom Mobile subscriber check their Wi-Fi balance?

Option 1: Self-service portal

Telkom Mobile subscribers can log in to their My Telkom account on the Self Service portal at http://www.telkom.co.za to view their Wi-Fi balance.

Option 2: Dial USSD Short code

Dial USSD short code *188#, to receive your Wi-Fi balance.

Option 3: USSD Menu

Dial *188# under the USSD tab on your data modem dashboard

Option 4: Wi-Fi portal –applies only to non-Telkom Mobile subscribers

1. How do non-Telkom subscribers register their device to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?

a) Via EAP-PEAP Registration (Username and Password Registration)

Non-Telkom subscribers will be required to register their device to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi via EAP-PEAP registration (username and password registration). EAP-PEAP registration involves the registration of a Username and Password that will be supplied during the registration process on Telkom’s Wi-Fi portal. EAP-PEAP registration will be applicable for primary IOS device if the subscriber is not registered on Telkom’s network.

STEP 1: EAP-PEAP Registration - User Name and Password Registration

• Connect to  “1 Telkom Guest” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
  • You will be redirected to the Wi-Fi portal landing page or can access the Wi-Fi portal page on the following link https://Wi-Fi.telkom.co.za/umbrella/Wi-Fi/myWi-Fi
  • Please register by clicking  the register button and following the registration prompts if you are a first time user

STEP 2: EAP-PEAP Authentication (Username and Password login)

• After the registration process, login to your Wi-Fi account using the username and password supplied during the registration process outlined in step 1 above
  • Once logged in to your Wi-Fi account, you can either choose to use the 30 minutes free Wi-Fi access or purchase a 30 or 60 minutes Wi-Fi bundle using your credit card
  • In future you  will be required to login to your Wi-Fi account using your  username and password every time you connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi hotspot

1. How do non-Telkom subscriber’s set-up their second device in-order to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?

STEP 1: EAP-PEAP Registration - User Name and Password Registration

• Connect to  “1 Telkom Guest” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
  • You will be redirected to the Wi-Fi portal landing page or can access the Wi-Fi portal page on the following link https://Wi-Fi.telkom.co.za/umbrella/Wi-Fi/myWi-Fi
  • Please register by clicking  the register button and following the registration prompts if you are a first time user

STEP 2: EAP-PEAP Authentication (Username and Password login)

• Login to your Wi-Fi account using the username and password supplied during the registration process
  • Once logged in to your Wi-Fi account, you can either choose to use the 30 minutes free Wi-Fi access or purchase a 30 or 60 minutes Wi-Fi bundle using your credit card
  • In future you  will be required to login to your Wi-Fi account using your  username and password every time you connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot

1. How many allocations per day does a no-Telkom subscriber have to the 30 Minutes of Free Wi-Fi?

Non-Telkom Subscribers are only allocated one 30 minutes free Wi-Fi access per day

1. I have run out of the 30 minutes of free Wi-Fi access and need additional access for the day, what other options are available?

Telkom has on offer Wi-Fi bundles that are available for purchase using a credit card that’s available on the Wi-Fi portal:

• Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 30 Minutes for R15
  • Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 60 Minutes for R25

1. How does a Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi bundle work?

Depending on the bundle purchased, the Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi bundle will give you either 30 minutes or 60 minutes to access the internet via Telkom Mobile’s Wi-Fi network. The countdown of the access window begins once the time based Wi-Fi ad-hoc bundle is activated; therefore you need to be in a Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot when purchasing the bundle.

1. Where can I access a Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot?

To locate Telkom Wi-Fi hotspots around the country please visit http://www.telkom.co.za/ coverage, or dial USSD Code *120*8686# to find the nearest Wi-Fi hotspot.

1. Can I purchase multiple Wi-Fi bundles concurrently?

No, as these are time based bundles, you can only buy one at a time and when depleted the timer will notify you to purchase another one.

1. How do I get hold of your call centre?

For support please call 081180 and choose the data option

Established Member

Re: Telkom WiFi

I have just suscribed to a 24 month 1GB Smart Internet package - sim only, no modem - which also includes the free 10GB monthly wi-fi allocation.

This sim is primarily used in My Samsung Tablet and is working fine when connecting to a wi-fi hotspot via 1 Telkom Connect. I am however unable to connect to the same wi-fi when using my Laptop.

I have contacted the Telkom Online Helpline on a number of occasions and checked their website as to how to add a secondary device but without any success.

Can any of you clever guys out there help me with this. I specificaaly subscribed to this package so that I could interchange between my tablet and laptop.

Regular Contributor

@Squareleg havent done on a second device yet, but have you tried step 6 in the instructions above?

1. How do Telkom mobile subscriber’s set-up their second device in-order to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?

NB: Please note that MAC Authentication for the addition of a second device was discontinued and contract and pre-paid customers that need to link a second device to their unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle will need to do so via EAP-PEAP authentication. The below process will apply when linking a second device to the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle:

STEP 1: EAP-PEP User Name and Password Registration – For Second Device

In instances where a Telkom mobile customer wishes to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi network with another device using EAP-PEAP authentication, the customer shall be required to register (once-off) on Telkom’s self-service portal and associate the Telkom subscription with his current profile. 

• Once logged in link your account to your profile, if not already associated. (Under Personal Accounts select “Link Personal Accounts”)
  • Under Personal Accounts select Manage Subscription
  • Select  the appropriate mobile number and click on fetch
  • Scroll down to the “Set Wi-Fi Password” section
  • Enter your password
  • Enter the Confirm Password
  • Click on Set Password

STEP 2: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Authentication - Secondary Device Setup

• Append @ telkommobile.net to the username, format to be used is081XXXXXX@telkommobile.net
  • Click connect

NB: EAP-PEAP authentication will only be required for secondary IOS device setup that is required to link a second device to the unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle. The below process will apply when linking a second IOS device to the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle:

STEP 3: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Authentication - Second Device Setup For IOS Devices

• Delete the EAP-SIM certificate on the IOS device
  • Download the EAP-PEAP certificate for IOS devices on the following link:http://www.telkom.co.za/today/help/downloads/file/ios-Wi-Fi-configuration-file/
  • Click install on the next two window’s displayed
  • Please follow the steps highlighted in step 1 above to register and / or login in to the My Telkom self-service portal on http://www.telkom.co.za and register a Username and password
  • Append @ telkommobile.net to the username, format to be used is081XXXXXX@telkommobile.net

So i came across the guide listed above on telkoms wifi.telkom.co.za site. I followed all the instructions, but no where do they say how exactly i can change the authentication method to EAP-PEAP. I've been trying to connect from a Windows 10 laptop, and have literally resorted to using the free 30 minutes on the Telkom Guest network because despite having set my wifi password, my machine won't connect successfully to the PEAP network. I called the call center and they tried to tell me to change the setting on my cellphone but the helpdesk wouldn't seem to understand that i haven't had an issue with connecting from my cellphone, but from my secondary device (aka my Windwos 10 laptop). After holding for about 10 minutes while they were looking it up, i was summarily suddenly sent to "rate the service". Can't say they should be shocked at the very poor rating I gave them.

So now i still am stuck unable to connect my laptop to their network. I get 10GB access a month but can't actually use it, and the help desk doesn't seem to be of any help either. I am quite certain I am not the only person who would need to connect a windows 10 laptop to one of their wifi networks, so they really should be able to help.

Any of you had this issue, and has anyone found a way to get it working? Everytime i try it says checking network and then fails.

Regular Contributor

@chadb did you log into the Telkom website and add your profile there. I havent actually connected a second device so dont have experience in this.

I did yeah. I had previously a year or so ago added a previous secondary device. Back then though you added a MAC address to your profile, that worked without any issue. But yesterday i saw that it was completely different so followed the instructions to configure my Wifi password etc, and every time i tried to connect I got a "you can't connect to this network" error.

I have been unable to actually find where to configure the wifi for that connection to be EAP-PEAP. I cannot believe that their wifi network would be incapable of working with Windows 10 devices. From what I read up, there appear to be older versions of the router software that don't work with Windows 10 and PEAP, but as Windows 10 has been out now well almost 9 months these kinds of issues should have been rectified.

It is troubling that technical helpdesk agents believe changing settings on your phone will fix the issue with connecting your laptop to the network when they're unrelated entirely.

Regular Contributor

@chadb googled a bit and found this link, might be worth a read.

seems you can change security to 802.1x and WEP and then it gives the PEAP option

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

not sure if these would work on Telkom's wifi network. here is a similar tut

https://answers.uchicago.edu/page.php?id=16377

I'll give it a try when next i'm trying to use a telkom hotspot. I tried the manual config, but i think i didn't try the 802.x option.

The registration link  you sent is for the Telkom Guest network, which is what i ended up using yesterday anyway. To use my 10gb wifi benefit from my telkom mobile contract though I have to use the 1 Telkom Connect network which is what was giving me a headache yesterday. Hopefully that manual configuration will work. So many hoops to jump through for a bit of decent wifi though! Smiley Surprised

Thanks for the links though, greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy

I recently got an internet data contract from Telkom and want to activate the option to use Telkom wifi at a Telkom hot spot. One has a 10GB data option available as part of the contract.

The "set wifi password" option on the manage subscription page is most of the time not available or not working. Can someone please tell me if there is a different option to what was described in this post. 

About This Post