Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Telkom WiFi

Remarkably enough the solution does not involve going knee deep in fancy tricks and telkom gimmicks. Well, at least not for me. THE PROBLEM- allowing a second device (laptop) to help you plunder the 10gig Telkom feeds you.

THE SOLUTION- In short Tethering.
This guide is ment for the blokes with an Android OS on the phone and assumes you can connect to the hotspot in the first place.

Sharing a WiFi hotspot from your phone won't work because your WiFi card can only handle one connection at a time. Instead use usb tethering. For that to work from what I have gathered, you will need to download and install your phone's suite software. I use HTC, so I installed the HTC sync manager, Samsung should have the same kind of product available for free. Once that's installed and you've activated usb tethering on your phone your laptop should connect automatically and you can grab a beer and get work.

OPTION 2- Bluetooth tethering, this comes in quite handy if you want to connect your laptop and also share the pie with some other lad. Activate Bluetooth tethering from your android menu and assuming your device has been paired with your laptop via bluetooth go to the control panel- hardware and sound- devices and printers and right click on your phone from the window, hover over "connect using" and select "Access point". Done! Not much to it ey?

I have used both methods and they work rather well. Network speed won't give you much of a headache. Good luck.

I can't figure out how to I'm supposed to connect to the WiFi hotspots using my Mac laptop. I've tried adding it as a secondary device, but I get the message "Not authorised for MSISDN selected" after I try to set the wifi password. My contract, available data page, and Service Package Statement all reflect that I have 10gb free WiFi access per month, so it's not that I'm not on the right package.

The laptop is not actually being used a secondary device, exactly - the sim is in a D-Link dongle, which is connected to a home Wifi modem. Do I need to take this dongle with me to the WiFi hotspot? What happens then? Help! (I've read many pages of information about all of this, including the document quoted at the start of this thread, but still can't figure it out...)

Hi all, I don't know if I'm the only 1 experiencing this problem. I have followed all the steps to register for EAP-PEAP to connect to 1 Telkom connect hotspot. The 1st time I connected to the network it connected with no problems but nowadays when I try to connect it just says "connecting" and never eventually connects both on my phone and my tablet.

What could be the issue?

BOB

Hi

I am frustrated beyond belief. Ilogged a call 2 months ago stating that when i connect at a Telkom hot-spot with either of my sim devices i get this message saying "connected, no internet". It seems to be connected to the local router at the hotspot, but there seems to be no data streaming? I have tested the internet speed on both devices with Ookla Speed test and the speed is about 0.05 kbps, where i use to get about 1mb before this issue started middel May 2016.

Each time i call the helpdesk it seems they look on the system and all they can tell me is that someone is looking at it, but there is no communication? No one has even contacted me to discuss the issue or provided any feedback. You get told that someone will call you within 24 hours but no one calls. Can you please advise?

We spend four days at a Telkom outlet without being able to link my laptop - Windows 10. Trying Monday again when an expert in this will be present and hope for the best. already lost the first month's 10 Gig.

Highlighted

Thank you thesuspect, I will try this link.

Established Member

Re: Telkom Wifi Hotspot settings on Ubuntu

Can anyone please assist with the hotspot setting using Ubuntu 16.4

I have tried the following setting under Ubuntu 16.4 without success, even though the same settings runs without problems under Windows 10. Thus the identity and password have been checked under the same hotspot under Windows 10.

Screenshot from 2017-04-10 14-26-04.pngScreenshot from 2017-04-10 14-26-59.pngScreenshot from 2017-04-10 14-27-22.png

I've been using the telkom wifi near my work for my tablet since I got it, I use the sim. Now when I connect as usual I get a pop up notification telling me to log in. When I tap it I then get a error message telling me too many redirects. What's the problem here?

Could you please assist me.  I want a telkom line with WiFi please.  I am staying in Lichtenburg and here is not a Telkom office.  Where can I apply.  I do not have a telkom line currently.

Thanks

Margaret Coetzer

Moderator Moderator

Hi @0307 This is not a service channel. You can call the sales centre on 10213 for further assistance.

output_Svao80.gif
About This Post