Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Using Telkoms SmartBroadBand wireless Network and Data plan with another ISP

Due to cable theft in our area last year Telkom has told us that they would not be replacing the adsl line.
They said they would give us a sim Modem which i would think falls under their SmartBroadBand 
Wireless Network which my area(Retreat) supports.

If i take this option i would be paying Telkom a monthly rental for the device,how would my adsl data and line rental work with Another ISP then?
Since there is no physical adsl line.Would i pay for line rental(LTE router acting as a virtual adsl line) or is it capped depending on my data plan.How does it work if i am using another ISP for my Data plan.Like WebAfrica with a 8mbps with 200GB per month.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Using Telkoms SmartBroadBand wireless Network and Data plan with another ISP

@Liam2142, your line rental and ISP account would fall away and you would only pay Telkom for an LTE SmartBroadband service.

Highlighted

Re: Using Telkoms SmartBroadBand wireless Network and Data plan with another ISP

[ Edited ]

Well thats kind of bs, now im forced to use that service if ever my line fails and Telkom won't replace it.I use a 200 GB capped account because of high data usage and their LTE service to way too expensive for that kind of data usage.There needs to be more ISP's that lay down infrastructure so that Telkom does not have the monopoly in the market and customers are not forced to only using their services(which is quiet bad).

Highlighted
Contributor

@Liam2142, Uncapped LTE at R799. Prices are dropping.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Im never going to use  uncapped  from any ISP.

I know ISP's want to keep you having a good service and stop people from torrenting all the time and decreasing performance but

all they do is throttel you if you use more than slightly half your cap and give to ridulous hours when to have your line at full speed.

I'm not using the internet between 00:00 to 08:00am and that's the times when your line is not throttled.

I have also had to deal with ISP's blocking normal ports that are used by steam.

Uncapped is not uncapped it is just a very high cap you will never reach because of all the throtteling.

I would think if that you are using LTE the policy is alot worse.

About This Post
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 Contributors