Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member

Re: Websites blocked

From 21st September 2018, I have been unable to access a number of websites from my Telkom LTE ISP. Some of these sites are accessible from my wife's smartphone using Vodacom data, so it's not the sites. I've tried the Telkom complaints line, but I was unable to get the call centre girl to accept my complaint. Among the sites that cannot be reached are ALL of the Naspers sites, especially News24, and the Disqus server that handles comments on "news blogs".  It seems to be some problem with Telkom's own routes, as this tracert check shows:

Tracing route to www.news24.com [104.20.20.237] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 2 ms 11 ms homerouter.cpe [196.13.63.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 27 ms 31 ms 27 ms 172.17.16.1
4 29 ms 33 ms 25 ms 172.17.16.17
5 26 ms 27 ms 43 ms telkom-internet-gw.telkom-ipnet.co.za [165.165.184.22]
6 47 ms 29 ms 17 ms rrba-ip-bng-3-wan.telkom-ipnet.co.za [165.165.184.21]
7 60 ms 38 ms 45 ms 196.43.8.33
8 48 ms 58 ms 29 ms rrba-ip-p-1-bundle-ether-201.telkom-ipnet.co.za[41.147.241.21]
9 43 ms 41 ms 44 ms 41.147.240.70
10 53 ms 43 ms 44 ms nngy-ip-bpe-2-pos-0-0-5-0.telkom-ipnet.co.za [41.147.240.42]
11 41 ms 26 ms 30 ms 196.43.31.210
12 * * * Request timed out.

Can anyone get on to SOMEONE at Telkom who knows what the problem is?

Established Member

Additional data: I'm in the West Rand, I'm using either Opera or Firefox on Win 7 or Win 10, and I'm getting thoroughly fed up with being unable to report technical faults!  Don't point me at the MyBroadband blog site, because THAT, too, is unreachable. 

Highlighted
Established Member

Has anyone on this thread noticed that this 'site blocking' problem seems to occur over long holidays or long weekends? I'm wondering just how much operator 'finger trouble' is the cause of this.

[ Edited ]

It is now the 7th of October and I am noticing more and more sites everyday that I just cannot access using LTE. What the hell is going on? I have had Telkom LTE for a while now and never noticed this issue before. About the only sites working are Youtube and Facebook, which I don't really use... I also use my LTE for work purposes, which often include researching, so this is becoming a problem. Is it worth logging and fighting about this problem? Or will Telkom oneday just wake up and get things working again? Seems like I'm not the first to have this issue, this thread goes back quite far with similar issues..

Established Member

Here we go again, because this site lost my login and threw me out when I submitted. This problem happens because one of the Telkom routers in the chain between you and your destination IP address has become corrupt. The on-line help system can't handle this kind of problem, and the call centre ladies don't have a script item for serious technical problems. If you have Windows (or maybe Apple - but NOT Android) you can try to do what I did above. In a command (DOS) window, issue a tracert <url> command aimed at a non-responsive site.This will give a list that ends at the last router found (it SHOULD
end at the required site, but won't). Then copy this list and paste it into a message on this board. Let's
hope that a Telkom techie reads this site now and again, and sends someone to reboot the dud router.

This happens because of the way the Internet works. To get to a given IP address, your own local router asks another, who asks another, and so on until it gets to the required address. Now, if just ONE router in the chain has a corrupt routing table, the search chain goes off into nowhere. The fact that you CAN get at some sites is because they are on the top of the routing tables earlier in the chain (i.e. popular ones such as BookFace, etc).

Thanks! That was actually a really helpful answer. I'm gonna save that in case it happens again. But strangely enough, yesterday everything was suddenly working perfectly again. Maybe someone else managed to sort it out. Either way, at least I now understand what to do for next time.

So almost a year later and the issues is still not fixed. The offending cache server is using IP range 196.43.9.0-255. All outgoing traffic is halted at this server. Doing a Who is Ip the server is listed as Telkom's own!

So if you are using Telkom LTE service the reason e-mails and certain websites are blocked is because of this server not working even if your APN is set on unrestricted.

IP General Information

IP Address:
Hostname:

ISP:
Telkom SA Limited

IP Geolocation Information

Continent:
Africa (AF)
South Africa (ZA) ZA

Time Zone:
Africa/Johannesburg
Latitude: