Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

10 GB FINISHED IN 11 DAYS

I received my new Wi-FI Router on 2 May 2018 with 10GB (the special Telkom had for R139,00).  It was activated on 3 May 2018, on Sunday 13 May 2018, data finished.  I am the only one who has the pin and use this wi-fi.  This is a ridiculous, how can 10GB get finished in 11 days.  The only social app running all the time is Whatsapp.  FB, Instagram all logged off.  I only log onto FB maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hours per day or less and this is during the evening and I dont open videos during this time.  All my apps get updated at work over free wi-fi, most videos get opened over free wi-fi at work.  I dont play online games.  At night the wi-fi is switched off.   I dont even use the banking app or any other app frequently.  So seriously where is all my data going.  I initially had the 5GB and it use to last the month, but couple months ago within 10 days the 5GB is depleted and then I use to buy 1GB and it lasts like 3 or 4 days, so I now got the 10GBs and same problem, this actually means I'm using 1 gig per day, and this is impossible.  Im at work during the week and have access to FB/Instagram/Internet banking etc. 

So there is no way that I am using 10GB in 11 days.

Are there anyone else having same problem, is Telkom actually taking us for a ride, giving us these great deals and then ripping us off the data.  

Please advise.  I am now getting fed up of having to keep on buying data.

Regards

SG

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: 10 GB FINISHED IN 11 DAYS

Hi @SG21-

Maybe automatic background OS updates or patches to one of your wifi devices is using gigs .

If you haven’t already done so perhaps make sure no one else can access your wifi data - try changing your router wifi password - then change the ISP password you saved on the router .

After that’s done you can check if data usage is legit and see which PCs / devices are using it.

Highlighted

Kathy I do have the same problem. I took the 10GB. Last month April the 10GB was finished just within 11 days. I decided to monitor it next month (May). But this month it happens again while we hardly used the data except my primary kids looking for some words when doing homework. The data was surprisingly gone within 11 days. I lodge a complaint at Telkom shop. I asked them why my contract description is 500MB Smartnet while I took 10GB contract. They told me the original R139.00 contract was 500MB then the 10GB was design on the 500MB as it was that month special.

My complain was lodge Tuesday 15, 2018 and was told to wait for 72 hours turnaround time. Today 18/05/2018 I received a sms from Telkom saying my case has been resolved but they don't even give me details of what problem was solved and what was the cause. They just said 'Your case number ...... is resolved. Please call 081180 for Telkom Mobile related queries....

I call the number 081180, but it is really frustrating as it I have to wait while listing to they recorded holding message for almost half an hour. This type of service I did not expect from Telkom SA, really.

Kagiso

Highlighted

Kathy I do have the same problem. I took the 10GB. Last month April the 10GB was finished just within 11 days. I decided to monitor it next month (May). But this month it happens again while we hardly used the data except my primary kids looking for some words when doing homework. The data was surprisingly gone within 11 days. I lodge a complaint at Telkom shop. I asked them why my contract description is 500MB Smartnet while I took 10GB contract. They told me the original R139.00 contract was 500MB then the 10GB was design on the 500MB as it was that month special.

My complain was lodge Tuesday 15, 2018 and was told to wait for 72 hours turnaround time. Today 18/05/2018 I received a sms from Telkom saying my case has been resolved but they don't even give me details of what problem was solved and what was the cause. They just said 'Your case number ...... is resolved. Please call 081180 for Telkom Mobile related queries....

I call the number 081180, but it is really frustrating as it I have to wait while listing to they recorded holding message for almost half an hour. This type of service I did not expect from Telkom SA, really.

Kagi

Highlighted

@SG21-wrote:

I received my new Wi-FI Router on 2 May 2018 with 10GB (the special Telkom had for R139,00).  It was activated on 3 May 2018, on Sunday 13 May 2018, data finished.  I am the only one who has the pin and use this wi-fi.  This is a ridiculous, how can 10GB get finished in 11 days.  The only social app running all the time is Whatsapp.  FB, Instagram all logged off.  I only log onto FB maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hours per day or less and this is during the evening and I dont open videos during this time.  All my apps get updated at work over free wi-fi, most videos get opened over free wi-fi at work.  I dont play online games.  At night the wi-fi is switched off.   I dont even use the banking app or any other app frequently.  So seriously where is all my data going.  I initially had the 5GB and it use to last the month, but couple months ago within 10 days the 5GB is depleted and then I use to buy 1GB and it lasts like 3 or 4 days, so I now got the 10GBs and same problem, this actually means I'm using 1 gig per day, and this is impossible.  Im at work during the week and have access to FB/Instagram/Internet banking etc. 

So there is no way that I am using 10GB in 11 days.

Are there anyone else having same problem, is Telkom actually taking us for a ride, giving us these great deals and then ripping us off the data.  

Please advise.  I am now getting fed up of having to keep on buying data.

Regards

SG

Kagi

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi @Kagi

Sorry to hear this , perhaps try an online enquiry with a Telkom agent here  :- 

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/help/personal/#start-chat

Community members are Telkom customers like you  We try to help each other but there are no Telkom support agents in the forum - service issues are only attended at their support channels :-

https://community.telkom.co.za/t5/Announcements/Telkom-Service-Channels-How-to-get-Help/m-p/1768#M13

If you can’t get help from call centres send a detailed message with your refs to a Telkom media support team - usually best for good response & results (and/or email them) :-

Facebook: TelkomZA

Twitter:    @telkomza

email :             support@telkom.co.za

Hope this helps, good luck.

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for your response, I restricted all my apps ie background data and roaming data etc.  Today is the 21 May 2018 so in total I have used on one wi-fi router 10 gbs in 11 days and my other router 5 gbs in 7 days, so that is 15gbs in 18 days, this is ridiculous no ways, I am not constantly on my phone.  Like I stated I update all my apps at work as we have free wi-fi.  Monday to friday during office hours I have access to fb, instagram, emails etc on my work PC.  Videos are also opened over free wi-fi at work.  Its just my whats app that runs, i also spend limited time if at home on fb.  So where is my data going.  NO one else has my pin or access to my routers.  It seems like I need a gig a day.  Now I have no wi-fi at all.  If I have to purchased 1 gb, that will last like 2/3 days.  I honestly feel like Telkom is ripping us off, with these supposedly great deals.  Getting them to assist is like a bloody nightmare.

Highlighted

@SG21- wrote:

Hi, thanks for your response, I restricted all my apps ie background data and roaming data etc.  Today is the 21 May 2018 so in total I have used on one wi-fi router 10 gbs in 11 days and my other router 5 gbs in 7 days, so that is 15gbs in 18 days, this is ridiculous no ways, I am not constantly on my phone.  Like I stated I update all my apps at work as we have free wi-fi.  Monday to friday during office hours I have access to fb, instagram, emails etc on my work PC.  Videos are also opened over free wi-fi at work.  Its just my whats app that runs, i also spend limited time if at home on fb.  So where is my data going.  NO one else has my pin or access to my routers.  It seems like I need a gig a day.  Now I have no wi-fi at all.  If I have to purchased 1 gb, that will last like 2/3 days.  I honestly feel like Telkom is ripping us off, with these supposedly great deals.  Getting them to assist is like a bloody nightmare.

Highlighted

Bought 10+10gig at 5 pm and switched off router at 12pm. Used WhatsApp and configure password to the router. Upon switching on next day , the 10gig is finished and left with 7 gig night data. How is it possible without even watching videos or downloading?
Seriously what is happening?
About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 Contributors