Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Activation of Dlink SIM card

I have been back and forth to get my SIM card activated that’s linked to my upgraded home package. Telkom allocated a mobile number then deactivated it and allocated a new number. 10213 - 10210 and 08110 unable to assist and advise . Spent more than 1.5hrs and no luck
Valued Contributor

Re: Activation of Dlink SIM card

Hi @Rajenr

Very frustrating ... probably next best step is visit a Telkom shop with the sim , take your ID and proof of residence In case they need to rica the card. They’ll usually activate sim same day for you.

If your upgrade was recent the contract changes could still be in process,  so might also  be worth checking if your password’s been changed. 

Hope you come right soon.

Hi Kathy

Regretfully the problem was not resolved. The Dlink Modem works but I am unable to connect
To the Internet. Popped in at telkom and they could not assist. I query was logged and I am hoping
That this route will help.

Regards

Rajen
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Valued Contributor

Hi @Rajenr

Thanks for feedback .  Sorry,  just presumed that the issue was only activating your sim card. 

Had similar problem on my upgrade , the Dlink router & wifi signal worked fine but internet disconnected.  If you're still offline I may be able to help with a few things you could try  if your package is adsl with a Telkom branded router (which initially connected to internet then dropped). 

I am advised that I need to phone 10210 to get the sim activated for ADSL. I am at pains to get resolution on this matter. Telkom phones you back then I placed in hold. When they do answer u get told you in the wrong division and start all over again EISH !!
Valued Contributor

Hi @Rajenr

Sorry to see you're still battling .

Just to clarify a bit - which adsl package are you on,  and has your router never connected to internet on your upgraded  adsl contract ? ( i.e. you need the sim card connection as failover while line down)

Hi

I am on a 4meg line. ADSL and router works without a problem. The sim in the Dlink dongle is we’re my challenge lies. If I use the dongle in my laptop it shows active but no internet access allowed

Regards

Rajen

Sent from my iPhone
Valued Contributor

Rajen,  is the dongle model DWM-157 and router Telkom branded D-link g-225 ?

If so, check that the dongle is definitely compatible with your laptop model
-and dod you try activating the sim with dongle connected to your router ?

Rajen, I have had a similar experience but I was told to download the telkom App to verify that there is available date on it. I have done so and it indicates that there is 2gb of data. I called as with you experience, trying all the options on the call centre and got to an agent that has indicated that I cannot connect to the internet due to it only being wifi hotspot data. The deal states "TI Mobile data (1GB)" which I assume is telkom internet mobile data being LTE etc and not Telkom wifi data being available at only selected access points. It seems that there product offering is either not well thought through or they are misleading the public with marginal advertising. Either way they will lose customers in the increasing competitive market. Added to this why would I require a sim for a wifi hotspot?

Hi Rajenr,

I have had a simliar call centre experience where a call centre agent on mutiple calls to 10210 tells you to call 10210 but cannot tell you the correct options to choose. The first call was to download the self help app to establish if there was data on the sim. I did that and the app indicates 2gigs available which I have cannot access. Another 4 calls to the call centre, and the the agent advises that the data is for hotspot wifi data and not 3g/lte data. The package indicates "TI Mobile data (1GB)" which I assumed to be 3g / LTE data as it is not necessary to have a sim or a 3g / lte dongle to connect to a wifi hotspot.  Therefore either the advert is misleading or the service offered is poor at best. Either way they are inviting customer churn.

Another setting that you should check is the apn setting. According to the internet it should be "Telkominternet".

I hope you come right before I do.

About This Post
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 Contributors