Please go to gethelp.telkom.co.za
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member

Fixed ( Static) ADSL IP address

Hey Guys

Can annyone perhaps forward me the advantages or ( pro's ans cons") of a fixed IP address on a ADSL line?

I do have a limitation in speeds due to poor Telkom infrastructure 

Kowing that you do have a fixed server to communicate with. What other positives or options do the fixed IP address have?

Since this is a additional cost over the dynamic IP address, is it worth spending or invest in in a Fixed IP adress?

I do have IP surveilance cammeras with fixed IP addresses. Will there be any issues regarding the config or setup

Kindly forward any information or expert advice

Regards

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Fixed ( Static) ADSL IP address

@Stargazer1 I wish Wat ur asking or rather thinking of was posible based on best effort adsl. Having a static ip address does not mean u connect to one server only. Only means if u want to connect remotely to ur modem to access your cameras then you could. Because IP addresses are issued by the isp it changes. So if you were at work and wanted to log into ur home network to view your camera's u need to know the address to login. So u request a static ip from ur isp. So its to connect to u, not u connect to one server on the Internet. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi @Stargazer1, it might just be a 'nice to have'.

1. It will allow you to remote/vpn into a machine easier.
  2. it helps with IP cameras
  3. You can host a website easier

That said, you could get away with using Dynamic DNS (DynDNS) which links your ever changing dynamic IP to a static domain name. In that way you access the domain name rather.

Telkom Internet lets you configure DDNS for your username - https://online.telkomsa.net/smt/

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hi @Stargazer1 - agree with the others - having a fixed IP with Telkom is not worth the trouble it will take you to get this.  It certainly won't improve any reliability or stability issues you have and are only required for the reasons mentioned by @thesuspect - I use No-IP without any issues for all of the reasons listed.

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Highlighted

Hi @thesuspect. Your explanation looks like it could be a solution to my problem. I have been given a static ip address by Telkom, which after the IT person helped to set it up but could not be seen from outside network (Only seen within the network). The router keeps giving us dynamic IP addresses, which keeps changing everyday and this has made runnning the application that we would like to be connecting to remotely very cumbersome because you need to know the public ip address the network has assigned after some days or any router restart. I would like your assistance if possible. We have a Billion Bipac VNP router, which we aquired after advise that we would need a vpn router to be connecting using the static ip address that telkom issued us with. I still have the Huawei given by Telkom. Please advise. Thanks a lot in advance. 

Highlighted

Hi @thesuspect

Thanks for your explanation. It has given me an idea, though not the solution yet. I have a problem setting up the static ip address, which Telkom issued to us. We are using a Bipac (Billion) 7402Gx  VPN firewall router which we can't seem to setup the public ip address for.

Everything on the status shows that the adsl  is connected, and the L2tp tunnel is active and connected, but when we try to ping the static IP it is unreachable, from outside of the network or inside.

We want to be connecting to an application using the public ip address. Please advise if it's something you can help with. We still have the Huawei HG that comes with an ADSL Telkom deal. Thanks

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Danza, it sounds like your router is still configured to obtain its IP automatically via DHCP from the ISP. I would assume you also need to change the LAN settings to the static IP. I found these 2 links, see if they help at all -

Highlighted

Hi @thesuspect. Thanks for responding. I did look at the links but could not resolve my problem. Could it be possible that Telkom have issued a static IP address which is not attached to our account? Because on the mapping table everything was set up to be pointing to the ip address which was issued. Unfortunately Telkom have not responded for over a week 

static route pointing to 105.255.0.101(statucip.telkomsa.net).

Highlighted

hi @Danza 
did you get the problem fixed,are you able to get website running?

Highlighted

hi @Danza 
did you get the problem fixed,are you able to get website running?

About This Post
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 Contributors