Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member
Accepted Solution

netgear dgn 2200 router and a Huawei e3131 3g modem

[ Edited ]

I have a Telkom branded netgear dgn 2200 router and a Huawei e3131 3g modem. I get a this is an unsupported usb device but the latest firmware says it supports it. I have the latest firmware installed need help asap. please

Established Member

Re: netgear dgn 2200 router and a Huawei e3131 3g modem

[ Edited ]

Here is a link where it clearly states that it supports a huawei e3131
https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.netgear.co.za/telkom/dgn2200.html&...

etB2A&sig2=7Wa7afCtxyeMsE87116A8A

I need a solution as soon as possible, just moved to a farm and can't get DSL so mobile is the only way. Is there someone I should email or call to get this sorted.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hi Steve, what happens when you try to connect things up?  I imagine you have the modem plugged in and powered up, and you are inserting the USB 3G modem - do you get an error at this point?

Please talk me through what you see and give a bit more details so that we can see if we can help you?  Oh and it might also be good to confirm the exact model numbers of what you have?  I would assume that you have a Netgear DGN2200M and not just the DGN2200 - both of them have a USB port at the back but only the M can be used with the 3G modem as an alternative network provision.

Found the answer to your question? Don't forget to Accept the Solution! 

Did you like someone's contribution? Give Kudos where Kudos are due!

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Established Member

The router reports its a DGN2200Mv2TELKOM
The firmware is V1.0.0.49_1.0.49

I plug the modem in and the blue light on the modem comes on and flicks like its working. When I log into my router it reports unsuportted usb device under 3g mobile settings
Frequent Contributor

Ok.  A bit difficult to visualize, and I haven't seen any guide or troubleshooting on this exact combo.  Do you reach this point in the photo below or before that? image.png

I have read about some scary experiences with modems like E367 where the USB modem has to be flushed before it can be used, but that was years ago.  You did notice though that these are really old tech that seems to be less supported these days.  Let's hope we can find a way...

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison (Inventor)
Established Member

This is a pic of what it should look like

Screenshot_2016-01-16-15-56-40.png

But instead of saying wireless modem settings and having options underneath it, it just say's unsupported USB device.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

I can't see your pic.

I got it to work, had to use this AT command to set it to modem only 

AT^SETPORT="FF;1"

Frequent Contributor

Wow Steve.  Great find !  I assume you used this link or something similar?  http://superuser.com/questions/586049/how-to-force-a-huawei-e3276-lte-modem-to-only-mount-as-a-modem

I had no idea that you could use PuTTY to talk to USB modems like this.  I learnt something new ... glad you got it working.

Established Member

Yeah that's the link, I new about U2^DIAG=0 but I kept getting error message but that SETPORT one worked thankfully. I was just about to give up to.
About This Post
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 Contributors