Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Intern-view

by Blog Author Telkom ‎07-05-2019 09:00 AM - edited ‎07-05-2019 09:10 AM

We had a sit down with Jabu who is an intern at Telkom in the Sales and Distribution department. He shares a little about himself and his experience at Telkom:

1. Where did you apply to get this internship?

I found the advertisement for the internship on the Telkom careers site.

2.What was your biggest fear when you first started here?

Not being good enough to work in such a big and important company.

3.How was your first day at Telkom?

Orientation day was great. We had a full day program where the internship was explained to us in full detail. Some of Telkom’s key people came to give us more insight into the company. Even Serame, the CEO of Consumer, came to welcome us. The first day of work was really cool. We were introduced to our line managers and the teams we would be working in. The entire floor was very welcoming and engaging. Settling in was really easy.

4.What is your role at Telkom?

Initially I mostly assisted with admin duties but I was recognised for my hard work by my managers and given the opportunity to be part of the execution and planning of projects. Now I oversee and assist with national sales initiatives, provide sales insight and handle the execution of sales activations for great events, like Idols.

5.Take us through a day in your life at Telkom.

The work begins as soon as I get into the office. I sit in meetings to help provide ideas for sales mechanics and activations, and to come up with solutions to the problems we are facing as a department. I continuously communicate with our dealers, specifically to manage the relationship between them and finance. I engage with all the departments that help us out, namely; Finance, Procurement, Marketing and Orders. I get guided on how to perform specific tasks that I am not familiar with and my responsibility is to complete a list of daily tasks and objectives.

1. What’s the company culture like at Telkom?

The culture is very relaxed for the most part. The dress code is casual, everyone is very helpful and it’s a lot of fun among the team. Within all this however; is the mutual understanding that targets need to be met, so when its crunch time we buckle down to get the job done well.

1. How has working at Telkom changed your life?

Through this internship I have been able to build a network of influential and successful people. I have had the privilege to travel all over the country and take part in some of the country’s biggest events such as the Telkom Knockout, Idols and the 947 Cycle Challenge. I have received multiple job offers from other companies because of the exposure that working for Telkom has provided me with. I am now equipped with more skills than I could have imagined and have surpassed the levels of achievement I had set for myself going into the job.  

1. What are your future career plans?

My plan is to stay in sales for 2-3 years and then move to marketing/advertising.

If you would like to get hands-on experience in a big company like Jabu did, you can also apply here: http://www.telkom.co.za/about_us/humancapital/careers/index-life-at-telkom.html

Article Stats
  • 0 comments
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 Contributor
Browse by Category