Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merchant of Dreams

by Blog Author Telkom on ‎20-07-2018 02:28 PM

1. Tell us a bit about yourself

I am a small business owner with an undying entrepreneurial spirit. I started my business from humble beginnings at my house in Soweto without any real support system. Fortunately I did have residential Telkom line. After I had toiled and struggled I was able to rent an office in The Dobsonville Shopping Center in Soweto. The reasoning behind that was that I needed to prove that there can be a corporate Soweto, I needed to prove that professionalism does not come from Town to Soweto in fact the other way around is true. We are now 18 years in the business.

1. What is it that you do, or what is your business

We started as a recruitment company, but we have now added a Training and Development arm to the business and an Outsourced Call Center where we train unemployed Matriculants and house them in our Call Center.

1. What inspired you to do what you do?

To be physically in a position to create jobs to alleviate the current scourge of unemployment.

1. What are some of the challenges you faced?

The very first almost insurmountable obstacle was a lack of capital and lack of resources one needs to start a business.

1. How did you overcome these challenges?

With that one Telkom line I had, I got calling… That is the only reason my business survived.

6.How has having Telkom handle your ITC?

Having Telkom as a Service Provider for our internet connectivity and fixed lines has eased off the pressure of worrying during down time. Telkom’s Telephone Management System also assists with tracking the employees who abuse the phone.

1. Why is it important to have the solutions to the above problems?

As a small business owner you really need to be abreast with the times to have any chance in business. Telkom is my business solutions architect with years of experience, credibility and reputation, so it is easy to just give it all over to them.

1. Why should other business people and entrepreneurs consider Telkom?

In South Africa, Telkom is connectivity.  

1. What advice do you have for other business people and entrepreneurs?

Do not go into business expecting to quickly make money and tremendous traction with clients, especially if you are not from the so-called ‘connected people’! Go in with a long-term plan and a great passion for what you have as the business of your choice. Business is a long-term marriage.

1. What are your plans and goals for the future?

Our plan, and wish, is to grow all the arms of our business, including extending our Call Centre in Debt Collection so that we can create a number of sustainable jobs.

Article Stats
  • 0 comments
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 Contributor
Browse by Category