Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is WiFi

by Blog Author Telkom on ‎09-07-2018 01:37 PM

What is WiFi and how does it work?

WiFi is a technology that allows you to connect your devices to the internet without attaching a physical wire to it. This works by having a router receive data either through a physical phone line or through a SIM card and decoding it into a radio signal that will be received by a wireless adapter, giving you a WiFi connection.

For the WiFi to work, the router will have to have an active internet connection which you can get from a network operator like Telkom. There are different data packages to choose from depending on your need and you have the option to pay for the phone line or SIM card on a monthly basis if you take it on contract.

The advantages of using WiFi

The core advantage of using WiFi is that you have the freedom to access and browse the Internet without a mobile device, laptop or tablet having to be plugged into an Ethernet cable. If you have a WiFi connection in your home, you can connect your devices to it and work from your bedroom, balcony or living area. Simply navigate to WiFi settings, and then turn on WiFi. Click on the name of your WiFi network and click “connect”.

How can you get WiFi?

It’s really simple for you to get a WiFi connection in your home with Telkom. You can get yourself an ADSL or Fibre line which comes with a router, this can take between 7-21 days for a technician to come and install this line for you. If a landline isn’t something you’d like, you can opt for an LTE contract that offers you a router that uses a SIM card.

If you’re out and about you can always make use of over 5500 Telkom WiFi hotspots available to you around the country and you don’t need to be a Telkom user to make use of this and it’s easy to register with these steps at hand:

https://tlkm.link/WiFiTelkom

Comments
by Louise
on ‎18-07-2018 11:08 PM

Hi! I want to limit WiFi exposure.  I have linked my Netgear router to my computer with ethernet cable.  Can I turn off WiFi without turning off the whole router?  I only need the internet and on occasion WiFi when I download onto my cell phone. Thanks for your advice. (Sorry I cannot find how/where to post other than a reply!)

by emoly
on ‎13-09-2018 09:14 AM

Wifi is technology for radio wireless local area networking of devices based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. ... Hotspot coverage can be as small as a single room with walls that block radio waves, or as large as many square kilometers achieved by using multiple overlapping access points. I am using wifi through my Netgear router and when I face the same issue I was visiting the Netgear Support team.

Article Stats
  • 2 comments
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Browse by Category