Welcome to the
Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What’s the difference between 4G and LTE?

by Community Manager ‎12-04-2018 12:00 PM - edited ‎19-04-2018 04:56 PM

The simplest explanation of 3G and 4G is that the “G” stands for generation. It speaks to the generation of mobile data technology. LTE stands for “Long Term Evolution” and is defined by the idea of bettering wireless broadband speeds in order to meet the demand for faster mobile internet.

What is 4G?

4G refers to the fourth generation of mobile data technology. It is designed for mobile devices, like smartphones and tablets. Mobile service providers found that there was a need to browse and consume content faster on mobile devices, hence the upgrade from 3G to 4G. These faster connection speeds allow people to freely browse the internet, watch videos, read articles, check emails and more, all from the palm of their hand.

What is LTE?

Due to new broadcasting methods, and the introduction of new platforms on the internet like Snapchat, Netflix, Showmax and Instagram, the need for even faster internet speeds became evident.

This was one of the reasons that LTE came about. But what is it? LTE stands for Long Term Evolution, and can handle higher speeds than 4G. Having said this, you may have come across the term LTE-A. This is Long Term Evolution Advanced which offers greater stability than normal LTE and even faster internet speeds. It works by allowing you to download data from multiple sources all at the same time, instead of trying to connect to the strongest signal in your vicinity.

Choosing the best connection

So, which connection is best for you? Essentially, 4G works and works well on mobile devices in South Africa, especially if you like sharing photos on social media or watching videos on YouTube. LTE is faster and should be considered if you enjoy live streaming video content. It also works well if you’d like to connect multiple devices to the internet in your home. If you’re an online gamer and need a bit of extra stability to ensure a great experience, we would suggest giving LTE-A a try, especially if you don’t have fixed line services available in your area.  

Find out more about Telkom’s LTE solutions here: 

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/campaign/lte-and-lte-2018/

Comments
by Peter64
on ‎13-04-2018 12:08 PM

"we would suggest giving LTE-A a try, especially if you don’t have fixed line services available in your area. "

LOT of rubbish! I have LTE in my area, the cables were stolen so I don't have fixed services anymore but Telkom will still not give me a LTE contract because according to their outdated maps there is no coverage.

by mgbemena0007
on ‎04-05-2018 10:03 AM

Actually, to start with, The both are very good and with a very high speed depending on the region you are in. Some people always prefer 4G but i don't think thats the case because one man's food can be another's poison. LTE on the other hand is good doing usage and works faster in some region than the 4G. As for my own opinion, the two have little difference based on the region. 

Source: Buks Magazine

by Sahillakhraj35
on ‎19-05-2018 10:07 AM
Im having issues with my Telkom simcard it keeps on disconnecting for no reason I phoned Telkom but still never help I got the Nokia 3
by Sahillakhraj35
on ‎19-05-2018 10:09 AM
Can anyone help with this problem
by szngubane
3 weeks ago
Good day Telkom. I'm hoping that you can hear my cry.
I am a telkom mobile customer with some other people who have switched to telkom in the past 12 month. I reside in rural area in Kwazulu Natal called Kwamhlabuyalinga. We regularly struggle with a secure connection to grow economic activity in the area due to the fact of limited fast internet connection. My plea is to please consider developing infrastructure preferably with 4G and LTE coverage since the company is driving growth in this sector. I can vouch that there is a pronounced population using telkom mobile with growing frustraction because we are roaming under MTN, which is very expensive when is comes to data purchasing especially because we are forced to purchase all network data dundles. As the young population of the Kwamhlabuyalingana area we wish for assistant in this problem since there is limited or non existant funding in telecommuncation funding in our region. With a growing working force we are very eager to take advantage of your LTE and LTE-A packages. I understand that business strategy is too improve urban connectivity because of the potential customer base compared to rural areas but I believe we should not be overlooked because the potential growth of education and the economy that could happen which would fast track rural development for home and business.
I have taken responsibility to be the voice of my community in fast tracking our digital transformation. I hope Telkom really does take careful consideration in what we say in these community blogs.

Kind Regards
S.Z. Ngubane
Article Stats
  • 5 comments
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 Contributors
Browse by Category