Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Established Member
Accepted Solution

How does it all work?

Hi,
okay, so i dont have a landline, i never had one, i dont know anything about a landline.
i am freelancing designer and do most of my work online ( using internet cafes and my phone ). I now noticed that i should have internet access straight on my PC and reduce my visits to cafes.

But i need some questions answered before i apply for a landline and get ADSL internet ( I dont want fiber/mobile contracts, they're expensive).

1. How much do i pay to have a pole or landline, whatever it is

2. Is it possible to rent ADSL line and not the telephone line?

2. I am not planning to use the telephone line but the ADSL line, how much is it to rent ADSL alone per month?

4. If i can't seperate ADSL costs from telephones' , then how much is the price for renting both line?

My questions may be redundant and confusing but please try to understand that you're assisting a person who does not know anything about the so called landline.

Regular Contributor

Re: How does it all work?

[ Edited ]
1. How much do i pay to have a pole or landline, whatever it is. Landline is for your normal telephone line (not cell). Ans: Because the ADSL signal also uses the phone line coming into your home then Telkom charges you for the physical line (landline).

2. Is it possible to rent ADSL line and not the telephone line? Ans: No. "Naked DSL" does not exist in South Africa

2. I am not planning to use the telephone line but the ADSL line, how much is it to rent ADSL alone per month? Ans: You can't, see 2 above

4. If i can't seperate ADSL costs from telephones' , then how much is the price for renting both line? Ans: The landline cost is R199/mo but the ADSL cost depends on do you want capped or uncapped and what speed? If capped how much data do you use per month?

Telkom "do" plans combine the landline & data charge fyi
https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/do-plans/

Established Member

Nice. i think i get it now.
So the R199 is for renting landline, say i choose 2Mbps adsl line speed will i be able to access internet from there or i'd still need to purchase data to be used on that 2mbps line?

cost of the internet user on adsl are as follows:
1. line rent R199 (payed everymonth)
2. x Mbps line speed Rx.00 (this is payed everymonth.
3. y GB capped/uncapped data for Ry.00 (from telkom or mweb/afrihost)
this is data to use the internet
TOTAL COSTS - R199 + Rx.00 + Ry.00
are these costs true for an adsl internet user? or...? do i pay 2 sets of prices per month or 3 sets?
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

You've got it grasshopper...

Here in South Africa, you have to pay a landline fee + speed fee + amount of data fee every month...ching ching for Telkom

You can choose any ISP that you want but they rent the landline (+ADSL signal) from Telkom using their IPC model (google Telkom IPC)

Established Member

Thanks hongkongpom! this is what i needed to verify.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Starstacks, if you just need Internet at home, you can look at LTE (SmartHomeWireless) or even Fibre if you are covered but on month-to-month you may have to buy your own router. These come with set data limits or on Uncapped

1x Cuppacino = R28  (8 hours is a long time to nurse a cold cup of coffee)

Avg of 22 working days per month

------------------

Total R616 on Coffee at the cafe

R616 x 2 cups + lunch (R50) =  R2332 to work at a coffee shop

Established Member

Hi thesuspect.
Thanks for the third leg, i am impressed about LTE since i'm lookin for the cheapest possible...
I tried to search if LTE is available in my area but, seems like i'm not finding out....
Can you confirm it for me, i stay in Pietermaritzburg....and i have a bad feeling...i think we're not covered are we?
Regular Contributor

@Starstacks, take a look at their coverage map, enter your address in here - https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/ucm/

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 Contributors