Telkom Community

Get involved. Problem solved.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Established Member

FIXED LINE LOOK ALIKE - internet connection

In the middle of experiencing my second outage of telkom landline and once again expecting a 3 week delay and multiple visits to the telkom store as I cannot phone using the landline. The only reason i got the line was for internet acess which is also now affected.

Has anyone changed from copper to the Fixed Line Look Alike recently, and can you share your experience with regards to internet connectivity and speed?

And would you recommend this as a better option than copper (fibre is not an option as no telkom coverage)?

Highlighted

Re: FIXED LINE LOOK ALIKE - internet connection

I was moved wth my smarthome package from copper to lookalike(WCDMA) about 10 days ago because Telkom's copper infrastructure (UG cable) was too faulty to support any quality data connection. 

I worked as an exchange technician and later ops manager for 25 years at Telkom and I am disgusted at how customers are treated and the pathetic service they provide. They need to read their Terms of service and agreement - seriously!

I had the lookalike "working" for 10 days, but with continuous disconnections and resetting of the intenet. The line was unable to maintain a connection and also when tested there was packet loss and latency and jitter that was way out of acceptable norms. The comany who tested it on line evaluated it as a D grade service. This was reported to Telkom on 16/3 and is yet unresolved by faults.

But the best was still to come... My smarthome package gives me 20g data a month which was said to be transferred to the lookalike... the nly change was that for some reason??? unknown... lookalike only support a max of 10gig a month... any way I has accepted that limit.... but on Friday  get an sms saying your 500MEG bundle has been used up and yur internet capped and disconnected. I go check and it has and keeps routing me to 8ta website telling me to buy data??? 

I have been on the phone to Telkom for over 13 hrs now and been routed to 63 different people, being contantly redirected back and forth between sales, billing, technical, adsl, back office and mobile... I have currently been on the phone to them for 3 hrs and 36 minutes only to have been just disconnected by them. NO-ONE knows how to resolve this issue... I get told you have 10gig available.... then I get told I have used all my data... you check and only 2.2gig used on My telkom. Then the next ne says you have used your 500meg package... wtf.... I don't have a 500meg package.. NO-ONE in TELKOM has the knowledge or service ability to even try to resolve this.... the last thing I was told is ... visit your Telkom shop 75km away... will they pay for my time and fuel??? NO

Eventually out of sheer desperation I clicked yes to use out of bundle data which got me back on line.... and which I WILL NOT PAY FOR WHEN THE TIME COMES because they owe me 17.8gig for this month. 

I have never seen such incompetence or a lack of willingness to address a customer issue. The terms of service agreement state that telkom is obliged to address and follow up issues and it is not the customer who should be inconvenienced and drive getting it resolved.

All I can say is PATHETIC!!!!!!

Highlighted
Established Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I dont think that you will find your answer at the Telkom shop as they appear to only be sales staff to sell products. Try to complain and they direct you to the phone.  I suggest that you try calling them again, but pretend to be a new customer and see what story they tell you about what the package contains. See if what they say is what you were told at the store. With this information, you can then call and complain that they mis-sold you a product and therefore will not pay the bill/data etc.

If you do go to the store, get them to physically test the device, and see what is going wrong. Perhaps there is some other setting which is eating your data and you may not be aware. Good luck!

Sadly for me, we called telkom from my brothers home today, and they have taken no action to assign the problem to a technician. So I suspect my 3 week wait for a fix may be a bit longer :-(

Highlighted

You should send an email to esccentre@telkom.co.za - this is where you escalate poor service delivery and non response to faults logged. If you have a ref or names, quote them in the mail :-( Hope you get sorted. I am ashamed that I worked for them. Was a different company with really dedicated staff in those days

Highlighted

Can someone please help me with this question.  I have phoned telkom and spoken to seven different consultants who can not resolve this issue.  I have 10G date per month as per the fixed line look a like.  Last week I received a "Out of data bundle" message from Telkom.  (According to my data usage on my laptop, I have not used even 6G...........)  So, I purchased a further 1G to tie me over until the new month starts only to have to purchase further 2G.........and again out of data. After purchasing my last 1G, i re-set my data usage to monitor the usage.  Again, received 'out of data' message but usage shows 88MB.  What is going on?  I have successfully reported this now and have a reference nr, lol.  (ONLY WAY TO GET ME OFF THE LINE WITH THE TELKOM CONSULTANT).

So, I have not resolved the issue as yet but have purchased a further 2G, (will it tie me over....) and am using this data now to send this message, lol.

Please someone, help! (Money doesn't fall from the sky but for Telkom it's all over in the air.)

Highlighted
Established Member

Hi, how are you monitoring your data usage? Please check to see if you perhaps have had a Windows 10 update in the background (this is around 10gb and is done in the background when there is connectivity (and when there is data available).  I see in the news that microsoft is truing to get everyone upgraded before the free update period ends. 

If it is not related to windows, I suggest you do a test over a few hours to compare your data usage per telkom to your data usage per pc to see what is using data. perhaps telkom is incorrect or perhaps some other item is using data and needs to be switched off.

Lastly, make sure your wifi password is enabled and change it so that noone else uses your data for free!

Highlighted

Good afternoon,

Can I use my dsl package on the FLLA?

Highlighted

hi

I have a similar problem. My look alike sim phone is unable to pick up data. I took the uncapped data package and is unable to use it but I have to pay monthly installment amount.

@Baileylp wrote:

In the middle of experiencing my second outage of telkom landline and once again expecting a 3 week delay and multiple visits to the telkom store as I cannot phone using the landline. The only reason i got the line was for internet acess which is also now affected.

Has anyone changed from copper to the Fixed Line Look Alike recently, and can you share your experience with regards to internet connectivity and speed?

And would you recommend this as a better option than copper (fibre is not an option as no telkom coverage)?

About This Post
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 Contributors